RCAF Mk. III Goggles

RCAF Mk. III Goggles

February 9th, 2008, 3:01 pm #1

Good day all,

Can anyone advise me regarding Canadian made Mk. III flying goggles? Would these have have seen any use outside of Canada? Are they close enough to RAF issue to be used for reenacting?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,
Mark

February 10th, 2008, 3:50 pm #2

Again, just attempting to see if anyone knows if a pair of Canadian made Mk.III goggles would have seen any in-theater use and/or if they would work for reenacting purposes.

Cheers, Mark

February 10th, 2008, 4:44 pm #3

.....Mark, Canadian issued kit did make it to Great Britain, but my understanding was that not much was taken by a pilot when he was shipped out to England from Canada.....Possibly a sack or two containing prized flight gear, but that may have been it. I'm sure some lads can chime in on this.....I heard it was about the same when the Aussies and Kiwi's shipped up to England to take part......

February 10th, 2008, 6:01 pm #4

I'm assuming that Mk III's would be of the same pattern whatever part of the UK or commonealth they were manufactured, apart from the stampings on the headstrap of course.

February 11th, 2008, 1:56 am #5

...that is correct. Other than being of Canadian manufacture and having a 1942 date, they look like other examples that I have seen.

Cheers, Mark

February 12th, 2008, 11:40 am #6

.....Mark, Canadian issued kit did make it to Great Britain, but my understanding was that not much was taken by a pilot when he was shipped out to England from Canada.....Possibly a sack or two containing prized flight gear, but that may have been it. I'm sure some lads can chime in on this.....I heard it was about the same when the Aussies and Kiwi's shipped up to England to take part......
yes, they only took their personal stuff- uniforms etc.

Australian made MkIIIa's were very similar to AM made types with a thin red velvet face pad the width of the frame, but the RCAF MkIII has a very wide leather bound face pad.

February 12th, 2008, 2:25 pm #7

...for all of your comments. I do appreciate it. I think I'll hang on the the Mk. III's, and look for something else to use.

Cheers, Mark