RCAF Gutta Percha Oxygen Mask

RCAF Gutta Percha Oxygen Mask

May 21st, 2007, 7:37 pm #1

Does anyone have any solid research on the RCAF Gutta Percha Oxygen Mask? I'm looking for information on the types of microphones and wiring loom connectors for this mask. I'm also interested in the details of the oxygen hose connector.

Thx

May 21st, 2007, 10:09 pm #2

I don't have much info on the Gutta Perch mask I'm afraid. However, as far as I know this Canadian made mask was only used within Canada, and I have an idea for training only.

I have attached some photos. This is the only one I have seen, and there is no provision for a microphone, the two openings on the lower front are for the hose (in) and valve (out).

May 22nd, 2007, 11:02 am #3

Thanks for the pictures Alex. I have a couple of these masks in my collection but getting detailed information to complete them seems to be a great challenge.

Ron

May 22nd, 2007, 11:16 am #4

Sorry I could not help more Ron, but I guess its part due to their limited use. Not much on the net, but a few notes from a forum a while back (including yours!)

http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/t ... ght+Helmet

May 22nd, 2007, 4:09 pm #5

Nice pix Alex, is that your mask? by the way I am putting an Anson nose together would those Annie parts in the background be for sale?

May 23rd, 2007, 5:24 pm #6

..its actually not my mask, but one that was sold on ebay some time ago, I kept the photos for reference.

Sorry to say, as a result I have no Anson parts for sale, not a thing that turns up often - either the parts or the mask!

May 23rd, 2007, 5:37 pm #7

Oh well, I recognize the bolt pattern for an Anson engine mount nacelle, of course the yellow paint gives it away, yes ebay good source of material thats for sure, cheers

May 24th, 2007, 4:05 am #8

Does anyone have any solid research on the RCAF Gutta Percha Oxygen Mask? I'm looking for information on the types of microphones and wiring loom connectors for this mask. I'm also interested in the details of the oxygen hose connector.

Thx
Hi Ron,
These are photos of an RCAF Gutta Percha mask in my collection. As far as I can tell it is complete. It was sent to me by an 85 year old former RCAF pilot friend of mine. One of his postings was with RCAF Coastal Command, flying Cansoes (PBY's) on Atlantic anti-submarine patrols. The first of the photos is of his RCAF "B" type helmet Mk VIII goggles and his Gutta Percha mask. The Gutta Percha mask was a "rebreather" system much like the USN MSA oxygen masks. The rebreather canister does have a large alligator clip attached. There does not appear to be any provision for a mic and I was told that the hose may be attached to either of the two front valves. It attached with a head strap configuration again, much like the Navy MSA masks. Hope these photos help. If you would like any different shots just let me know.

Paul O

May 26th, 2007, 1:07 am #9

Great pics! I have the same set up for one of my masks. Mine came from a Kittyhawk pilot. It seams that this mask really hasn't been researched to any great degree. Any and all information is appreciated.

May 27th, 2007, 9:56 pm #10

Nice pix Alex, is that your mask? by the way I am putting an Anson nose together would those Annie parts in the background be for sale?
...any use to you?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-RAF-Avro-Anso ... dZViewItem