RAF Tropical Tunic question

RAF Tropical Tunic question

June 10th, 2012, 11:57 am #1

I just bought this tunic which was in great shape and appeared to be authentic.
Hopefully I wasnt ripped off.
I am posting a few pictures and was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is an authentic
WW2 Tropical tunic.
I believe that the ribbon on the tunic is Africa Star?
Was this tunic worn with a T-shirt or anything underneath?
I was also wondering where I might find a matching belt and trousers.

June 11th, 2012, 10:56 am #2

The jacket is either very late war or postwar. See the below link for info on the Melbourne Textiles label. You can try and research the service number to see what timeframe it was used. The N. Africa star is being worn in the wrong position -- should be above the pocket flap. Given there isn't enough room for it beneath the wing, it likely isn't orignal to that jacket.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/m ... -Tx+labels

Last edited by AOC553 on June 11th, 2012, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2012, 1:06 pm #3

Thanks.
Is the A1825 on the handwritten on the tunic a service number?
How can I find out information about the name and # on the tunic?

June 11th, 2012, 3:04 pm #4

The jacket is either very late war or postwar. See the below link for info on the Melbourne Textiles label. You can try and research the service number to see what timeframe it was used. The N. Africa star is being worn in the wrong position -- should be above the pocket flap. Given there isn't enough room for it beneath the wing, it likely isn't orignal to that jacket.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/m ... -Tx+labels
Hi Xavier

As Chris has said, the 'M. TX' labels relate to Melbourne Textiles and were undated from 1945. As such, it would date the shirt to that date or later.

The insignia. The wing looks to me to be a repro, and in any case its an Australian made shirt with an RAF (British) wing. Not impossible, but generally you'd expect to see an RAAF wing instead. The Africa Star ribbon looks to be a pin on, and as Chris says, although its in the wrong place (should be above the pocket and below the wing) its often the case that people remove them for cleaning and put them back wrongly. If sewn there thats another matter. Although they look a bit new, the Wing Command epaulettes would be correct type, and from the photos there does not appear to me any evidence of rank on the sleeve.

With regards the name, I'm sorry to say that checking the Aus forces database there is no one with the name McMullen with that number at all. The number A1825 'does not compute' although there is a PA1825, although that belongs to an army chap called Barr. Even if RAAF I'd say the number A1825 would be more akin to a WW1 vet.

The material of the shirt is known as 'Airtex' which was light and breathable. As for a belt, finding one that matches a tunic (in terms of colour or wear) is never easy, but they do come up.

I'm afraid to say I think this is a made up item, with many parts that dont seem to fit.

June 11th, 2012, 4:40 pm #5

Thanks for the information ....
Fortunately I didn't pay too much for the tunic.
The guy I bought it from seemed to be honest but
didn't seem to know a great deal about the item.
He supposedly picked it up from an estate sale.
A quick question ..... were the Tropical Tunics all made with the "airtex"
material?
Also, I've seen some references to Tropical Bush Jacket .... is that one and the
same as the Tropical Tunic?

June 12th, 2012, 5:10 pm #6

Xavier

There were several types of 'tropical tunic'. I have a tan coloured RAF Officers service dress tunic which is tailored and fully lined, whilst the tropical or summer dress tunic for the RNZAF, RAAF, RCAF and RAAF were generally unlined. Aside from the tailored officers one, all I have are in a cotton canvas material, and were basically the same for officers and Other Ranks. Airtex shirts and bush jackets (longer, more like a tunic but more comfortable fitting) were also worn.

As for yours, it may well be the bloke sold it in good faith, you could take the decision to rebadge with original items if so.

June 13th, 2012, 1:20 am #7

Hi Xavier

As Chris has said, the 'M. TX' labels relate to Melbourne Textiles and were undated from 1945. As such, it would date the shirt to that date or later.

The insignia. The wing looks to me to be a repro, and in any case its an Australian made shirt with an RAF (British) wing. Not impossible, but generally you'd expect to see an RAAF wing instead. The Africa Star ribbon looks to be a pin on, and as Chris says, although its in the wrong place (should be above the pocket and below the wing) its often the case that people remove them for cleaning and put them back wrongly. If sewn there thats another matter. Although they look a bit new, the Wing Command epaulettes would be correct type, and from the photos there does not appear to me any evidence of rank on the sleeve.

With regards the name, I'm sorry to say that checking the Aus forces database there is no one with the name McMullen with that number at all. The number A1825 'does not compute' although there is a PA1825, although that belongs to an army chap called Barr. Even if RAAF I'd say the number A1825 would be more akin to a WW1 vet.

The material of the shirt is known as 'Airtex' which was light and breathable. As for a belt, finding one that matches a tunic (in terms of colour or wear) is never easy, but they do come up.

I'm afraid to say I think this is a made up item, with many parts that dont seem to fit.
A check of the WW2 Nominal Roll shows that neither the name or number existed during WW2. The A prefix denotes a post war service number.

June 13th, 2012, 2:33 am #8

Xavier

There were several types of 'tropical tunic'. I have a tan coloured RAF Officers service dress tunic which is tailored and fully lined, whilst the tropical or summer dress tunic for the RNZAF, RAAF, RCAF and RAAF were generally unlined. Aside from the tailored officers one, all I have are in a cotton canvas material, and were basically the same for officers and Other Ranks. Airtex shirts and bush jackets (longer, more like a tunic but more comfortable fitting) were also worn.

As for yours, it may well be the bloke sold it in good faith, you could take the decision to rebadge with original items if so.
Alex,
Thanks for the advice.
I will re-badge it to RAAF.
It is in good condition.
I've searched online for Authentic RAAF pilot wings and can't seem to find anything.
Are there any reliable websites or sellers that you would recommend?

June 14th, 2012, 12:50 pm #9

A check of the WW2 Nominal Roll shows that neither the name or number existed during WW2. The A prefix denotes a post war service number.
Hi Xavier - don't know where you are based but if in Australia I.S WRIGHT Militaria (Ballarat, Victoria Australia) has a number of RAAF wings. I believe I wrote up a nice set of wings for Kharki Dress Service Tunics the other month (fitted with press studs to rear for easy removal), cheers

Jason

June 19th, 2012, 3:37 pm #10

A pair herehttp://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WWII-RAAF-PI ... 4167248388

Several pairs on here too although the prices are very high! http://www.aussiemilitaria.com/products ... ion&so=asc