RAF 'Tin Helmet' Colour?

RAF 'Tin Helmet' Colour?

May 16th, 2008, 1:52 pm #1

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct colour for an RAF WW2 'Tin Helmet' please? I have heard that a good modern colour match is Rover Tempest Grey? Cheers Dave.

May 16th, 2008, 8:44 pm #2

I've used a Testors "Gunship Grey" seems to work.

Spy MkIII

May 17th, 2008, 6:18 pm #3

Hi Glenn, Thanks for that, will add that colour to my list and give it a try. Cheers Dave

May 21st, 2008, 6:53 pm #4

Hi, Went to Halfords today to look for some Rover Tempest Grey, it turned out to be quite dark and appeared to be metallic? Didn't look right at all, this info came from a source other than this forum. Will try and find some Testors Gunship Grey next. Any other suggestions for a good colour match?
Cheers Dave

May 21st, 2008, 8:19 pm #5

You can have a look at the gray I mention:
http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/pmodels/charts.html

download FS chart pdf

Good Luck!

May 21st, 2008, 10:20 pm #6

Try HUMBROL No 96 matt RAF blue. It's a decent match for the colour of RAF vehicles and for 37 patt webbing. Did my battle bowler in it.

May 23rd, 2008, 11:37 am #7

Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct colour for an RAF WW2 'Tin Helmet' please? I have heard that a good modern colour match is Rover Tempest Grey? Cheers Dave.
This has been discussed before, please see link below to previous string:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/180748/m ... tin+helmet

The above should help you with your tin helmet colour - which should be an 'earth grey' not blue.

Kind regards

Nigel Carver
O/C RAF at War

May 23rd, 2008, 11:44 am #8

Additionally, the confusion over this appears to have occured due to the Hollywood film '633 Squadron' where all the tin helmets were painted in blue (apart from the Fire crews which were red)!

By the time the film, the Battle of Britain, was produced and relased - Hollywood had corrected this to the 'earth grey' colour probably upon advise from the veterans that were advising on the film.

Nigel Carver
O/C RAF at War

May 23rd, 2008, 1:51 pm #9

I've used a Testors "Gunship Grey" seems to work.

Spy MkIII
Chaps,
I have an original RAF Tin Hat, dated 1940. I will be happy to post some photos of it to try to establish the correct colour if interested.
Please give me a couple of days to dig it out. It's in my loft.
Cheers
Neil

May 23rd, 2008, 1:53 pm #10

Additionally, the confusion over this appears to have occured due to the Hollywood film '633 Squadron' where all the tin helmets were painted in blue (apart from the Fire crews which were red)!

By the time the film, the Battle of Britain, was produced and relased - Hollywood had corrected this to the 'earth grey' colour probably upon advise from the veterans that were advising on the film.

Nigel Carver
O/C RAF at War
I've posted this again to put this message at the bottom of the thread.
Chaps,
I have an original RAF Tin Hat, dated 1940. I will be happy to post some photos of it to try to establish the correct colour if interested.
Please give me a couple of days to dig it out. It's in my loft.
Cheers
Neil