RAF shirt repros

RAF shirt repros

December 4th, 2007, 12:59 pm #1

I have posted on a number of rorums to try to gauge interest for repro RAF shirts.
please if you use other forums dont post on both but, who would be interested in RAF OR or officer shirts and how many would you order?
cheers
Tim

December 4th, 2007, 3:12 pm #2

Tim,

Presuming the fabric is spot-on, are you referring to Officer's or other ranks? Separate collar or attached? Pull over-half button or full button up? And of course cost is a factor. Any thoughts you have on all this would be welcome.

Dan

December 4th, 2007, 3:59 pm #3

i am canvassing interest to present to a potential manufacturer to see that this is viable. RAF reenacting is big and yet shirts are not to be had. you can get any type of german shirt and loads of german militaria that didnt even exist..
a basic pullover collarless design in a blue grey fil a fil fabric, which is easily available, has to be achievable. problem is I think we would need to talk in the hundreds to make it worthwhile for someone. I am sure a chinese or other far east manufacturer could do this however.

December 4th, 2007, 6:53 pm #4

If you are looking for a cheap alternative for WW2 RAF shirts go to a large Tesco's and look for shirts made by F&F. Conventional collared shirts but the fabric is almost a dead spit of the 'fils a fils' RAF cotton. And only four quid a throw!

December 4th, 2007, 7:38 pm #5

I may just do that. It will fill a gap until I do get a real one or a decent repro comes along. four quid is hardly money wasted. It still irks me that noone does them though.

December 5th, 2007, 1:35 am #6

i am canvassing interest to present to a potential manufacturer to see that this is viable. RAF reenacting is big and yet shirts are not to be had. you can get any type of german shirt and loads of german militaria that didnt even exist..
a basic pullover collarless design in a blue grey fil a fil fabric, which is easily available, has to be achievable. problem is I think we would need to talk in the hundreds to make it worthwhile for someone. I am sure a chinese or other far east manufacturer could do this however.
Factors that need to be considered:
- size distribution of the production run (how many of each size; how many sizes)
- parallel runs of OR and Officer shirts (vendors will a specify minimum run of each)
- distribution of collar sizes (how many sizes and how many of each)
- parallel runs of OR and Officer collars (minimum runs)

on the market end:
The RAF reenactor market is actually pretty small. Total reenactors likely number fewer than 150. Only a small percentage of those would be willing to commit to a shirt, especially as cost increases.

A custom Hong Kong tailor can deliver a made-to-measure shirt to your door for about US80-100.
Last edited by AOC553 on December 5th, 2007, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.