RAF OA's patrol dress

RAF OA's patrol dress

July 7th, 2009, 1:05 am #1

Recently purchased a book on Sergeant pilots during th BoB, and came across a uniform I had not seen pictures of before, but had sort of known must have existed. In both pics the chaps wearing it is quite obviously just finished getting married, due to the white clad ladies next to them, and both are dated interwar. I describe it as patrol dress, as it resembles army patrol dress in pocket shape and style (as opposed to pocketless army full dress) but I presume in RAF blue. Both are dated 1937, and in both side caps are worn or carried. Rank is gold (I think) and worn on the left sleeve only. A white collar liner is worn, and interestingly collar dogs on a mandarin collar. No belt is worn, and the wings (both are pilots) are clearly gold embroidered.

Anyone ever seen these before and could enlighten me as to when they were introduced? Was it for the coronation? What was they're proper designation?

July 7th, 2009, 2:18 am #2

This sounds very interesting.
Can you provide a photo?
Thanks
Neil

July 7th, 2009, 5:19 pm #3

Recently purchased a book on Sergeant pilots during th BoB, and came across a uniform I had not seen pictures of before, but had sort of known must have existed. In both pics the chaps wearing it is quite obviously just finished getting married, due to the white clad ladies next to them, and both are dated interwar. I describe it as patrol dress, as it resembles army patrol dress in pocket shape and style (as opposed to pocketless army full dress) but I presume in RAF blue. Both are dated 1937, and in both side caps are worn or carried. Rank is gold (I think) and worn on the left sleeve only. A white collar liner is worn, and interestingly collar dogs on a mandarin collar. No belt is worn, and the wings (both are pilots) are clearly gold embroidered.

Anyone ever seen these before and could enlighten me as to when they were introduced? Was it for the coronation? What was they're proper designation?
It sounds like one of the early WW1 style OR tunics with a sewn up collar to look like a patrol collar! I've seen a Para Warrant Officer with a similar tunic also wearing a Sam Browne belt.

Spy MkIII

July 7th, 2009, 6:10 pm #4

No, I don't think it can be - the cut is very different from 1919 pattern or army 02/22...the top pockers are scallopped but aren't pleated, and the lower pockets are patch pockets with scallopped flaps.

Will try and scan

July 7th, 2009, 8:15 pm #5

This is mess dress for SNCOs. I have seen a photo of a Sgts mess night circa 1937 and only one Sgt is wearing this uniform out of the whole room which reflects how scarce these must have been to start with. Having seen this single photo imagine my surprise when I met a chap at Newark Cockpitfest who had one of these tunics on display alongside an Officer's full dress tunic. It was a lovely tunic.

It is as Steve describes with the collar dogs and gold rank on one arm. The cut and material was quite unique. The white collar liner is probably a shirt. From the very few photos I'd surmise that this was a private purchase option much like the SNCO's mess dress today.

Out of interest how old was the chap in your photo Steve? The chap in the photo I refer to looks to be a career Sgt...
Last edited by __richard__ on July 7th, 2009, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 7th, 2009, 9:58 pm #6

The men in both photo's both look like career sergeants, one perhaps in his 30's, the other 40's or even 50's

July 8th, 2009, 7:52 am #7

In lieu of it being a widely identified uniform, I am inclined to think that the answer is that it is probably something that established Sgts chose to buy privately in the pre-war era.

July 8th, 2009, 12:58 pm #8

I would be inclined to agree with you there

July 8th, 2009, 1:19 pm #9

Still hoping for a photo Steve. I might have other shots of the uniform somewhere. Ric, did you take any photos of the one at 'Cockpitfest'?

Ive seen the small RAF collars before but never properly pinned down the uniform. Im sure that of the BoB portrait shots that are about there is at least one of a pilot wearing the uniform.

July 8th, 2009, 1:45 pm #10

I'll see what I can do, piccy wise