RAF and USAAF

RAF and USAAF

March 17th, 2005, 11:31 am #1

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to find references to RAF personnel being 'loaned' to the USAAF, rather like USAAF individuals being seconded to RAF units. Exactly how often did the former happen (if at all) and is there any evidence to show that RAF aircrew went on combat missions as part of USAAF bomber crew?

Thanks for any leads anyone is able to offer.

Richard

March 17th, 2005, 7:39 pm #2

This is an interesting subject. I do know of at least one example of this, and it occurred with the 357th Fighter Group, known as the "Yoxford Boys". Chuck Yeager flew with the 357th during the war. However, a little known fact is that a RNZAF Flight Lieutenant by the name of Jack Cleland flew with the 357th as an exchange pilot. He kept his F/L rank, and operated with the squadron. Rather then me write the whole story, see the following link about Jack Cleland.

http://www.cebudanderson.com/jackcleland.htm

Take care

Mark

March 17th, 2005, 8:00 pm #3

The 56FG 'wolfpack' had shed loads of poles on the roster aswell.....

March 18th, 2005, 2:20 am #4

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to find references to RAF personnel being 'loaned' to the USAAF, rather like USAAF individuals being seconded to RAF units. Exactly how often did the former happen (if at all) and is there any evidence to show that RAF aircrew went on combat missions as part of USAAF bomber crew?

Richard
Richard,

So far the only thing I have found is an Adrian Warburton who was the RAF Liason Officer to the 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group, US 8th Army Air Force.

He had a very interesting career prior to working with the USAAF. I believe he was stationed in Malta, was with a torpedo bomber squadron that was involved in sinking several Italian ships in the Tarantano raid.
Afterwards he was involved in an automobile accident, recovered and was given this new assignment.

For involvement with the USAAF, were you also looking for other Liason Officers and Meteorlogical services?? Or just aircrew/ground crew?

Cheers,
Dean

March 18th, 2005, 6:52 am #5

Hi all,

Richard
As I know, several Czech airmen served in RAF VR also realized 3 or 4 combat missions on boards of US B-17 during their combat residency in one of US bomber groups.

Michal "Mopic" Juran
British RAF and US Signal Corps reenactor

March 18th, 2005, 2:37 pm #6

I have a business contact in Canada whose father was in the RCAF prior to and during WWII.

He was actually folded into the USAAF for a period right after Dec.7th, 1941 and assigned to units in Alaska. Evidently at the time this was not widely known and was kept quite hush-hush.

Later after being reinstated in the RCAF, he went on to England and Europe.

Interesting story... sadly now lost. (His father died of cancer in the 1980's traced to shrapnel that was never removed in his back from the ETO.)

Huxley

March 19th, 2005, 11:48 am #7

Hi all,

Richard
Thanks for all that input, I'll go hit a bit more research with the leads I've been offered. Dean, I guess I'm looking for aircrew type examples, but there ought to be many examples of ground based "swaps".