RAF AIRCREW NAME SEARCH-HELP NEEDED!

RAF AIRCREW NAME SEARCH-HELP NEEDED!

September 13th, 2009, 8:26 am #1

Sometime ago there was a useful website where you could search for RAF pilots/aircrew. It was not comprehensive, but useful nevertheless. This RAF name search website is no longer functioning. I am aware that in theory only relatives can access an RAF serviceman's papers. I have found info on some people on the UK National Archives site and through Google. Does anyone know of lists of RAF aircrew which can be searched on line? Thanks in advance for any help.

September 13th, 2009, 9:21 am #2

I know you can trace officers etc through the london gazette. Off the top of my head I can't remember whether OA can be traced but none-the-less it is worth a try.

September 13th, 2009, 10:22 am #3

Thanks Ben. I've used the L.G before with some success.I just wish there was a comprehensive website to use!

September 13th, 2009, 10:56 am #4

Snap. The only other option is to pay for access to documents on the guy you want, but I can't remember where you go to do this...

I think it is RAF cranwell or something like that, but my memory escapes me.

September 13th, 2009, 7:30 pm #5

Try RAF Innsworth at Gloucester

cheers

Lawrence

September 13th, 2009, 8:22 pm #6

<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;line-height:normal;"><span>Service records for Officers and Airmen that served after these dates are retained by the Royal Air Force. RAF service records are retained by Service Number, Rank and Full Name, and will also contain the Date of Birth. It is important that as much of this information as possible is provided to assist in locating the correct record.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /></span>
<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;line-height:normal;"><span>Enquiries about RAF held records should be made as follows: </span><span></span>
<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;line-height:normal;"><span>From Current/Former RAF Personnel.</span><span>
A Subject Access Request</span><span> (SAR) form needs to be completed and sent to:</span>
<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;line-height:normal;"><span>RAF DPA SAR Section
Room 220
Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
LINCS
NG34 8HB</span>
<p style="margin:0cm 0cm 10pt;line-height:normal;"><span>01400 261201
Ext 8175
Ext 8172
Ext 8173</span>

September 13th, 2009, 8:36 pm #7

This office wont release any details unless you are confirmed next of kin, or have written permission from next of kin or the airman himself, and then only after a search fee of £30.00. That is a search fee literally, and they dont guarantee to find anything for that, although they usually do.

If you can get the airman to make an application for his own record, they will supply it to him free of charge. In one case when the airman gave me written permission which i sent with the application they would not accept it, and wanted to either charge me the £30.00, or get him to apply and get it sent to his address, for him to forward to me.