RAF aircraft crew size requirements

RAF aircraft crew size requirements

June 24th, 2006, 5:11 am #1

Hello all---

Does anyone know what the max height/weight for a Spitfire/Hurricane pilot was? I was wondering about how accurate an impression I would look considering that I am 6'3" and 225 lbs and called myself a Spitfire pilot. I know that people of this stature did, of course, exist. Does anyone have the regulations or know of any Spitfire or Hurricane pilots that were noted for being this big or close to???

Cheers,
John

June 24th, 2006, 8:51 am #2

I have heard of a Canadian, Sqdn Ldr Martingdale, who was over six foot and weighed 18 stone. There's a prototype for everything.

June 24th, 2006, 2:42 pm #3

Hello all---

Does anyone know what the max height/weight for a Spitfire/Hurricane pilot was? I was wondering about how accurate an impression I would look considering that I am 6'3" and 225 lbs and called myself a Spitfire pilot. I know that people of this stature did, of course, exist. Does anyone have the regulations or know of any Spitfire or Hurricane pilots that were noted for being this big or close to???

Cheers,
John
Hi John,

I'm not aware of any "official" size. However I recently met an RAAF vet, Mr. Alan Flemming. He moved to the US after the war. He trained "down under" as a fighter pilot. But when posted to the UK he could not fit into the cockpit of a Spit, so was made a Lanc pilot. He was (and is) 6'4". I am due to get together with him again soon and I'll see if I can get any further "size" information. Hope this helps.

Paul O.

June 24th, 2006, 5:28 pm #4

Fantastic!! I'll be excited to hear what he says. Thank you.

June 24th, 2006, 10:40 pm #5

Hello all---

Cheers,
John
Hi John,
Roald Dahl was 6'6" and still served as a fighter pilot with 80 Squadron (Hurricanes?).

See:- http://www.roalddahlmuseum.org/discover ... facts.aspx

I read his book a few years ago, quite gripping if I remember - available on Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 83-3427001

A synopsis:-

Young Roald Dahl leaves England in 1938 for a job with Shell Oil in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania, and travelling around East Africa, he comes to love the beautiful and perilous country. Then, with the outbreak of World War II, he decides to sign up with the Royal Air Force and learn to fly. After six months of training, Dahl is ready to join 80 Squadron but is given the wrong directions and crash-lands in the western desert of Libya. He recuperates for half a year in Egypt and takes to the air again, meeting up at last with his squadron in Greece. Though he has no combat training, and minimal flight experience, he and 14 other pilots make up the entire RAF in that theatre of war. On April 20, 1941, this band must take on the German Luftwaffe in the battle of Athens. Dahl recounts the exhilaration of flying, the camaraderie of his fellow pilots and the exotic beauty of his African experience.

Regards, Paul.

June 25th, 2006, 11:52 am #6

Totally off topic, but a little known fact is that Roald Dahl was UK Air Attache in Washington in 1943 and wrote a draft script for the first Dambusters movie, which was to be made by the Americans.

I have a copy and it makes interesting reading!

June 26th, 2006, 1:22 pm #7

I know that the Canadian whose grave I look after was 6ft 4" tall. When I sat in a Spitfire (I'm 5ft 8") I can't imagine that it would have been very comfy for him, even my knees seemed to get in the way!
Kate

June 26th, 2006, 7:25 pm #8

There was a F/Lt "Tiny " Hunter DFC a flying boat pilot.
Tallest pilot in the RAF.
Not got a height but the Duke of Kent only comes up to his shoulder!

June 27th, 2006, 7:52 pm #9

Further details

Fl/Lt Roger "Tiny" Hunter DFC 6' 7" tall

Catalina pilot also on VIP transport to Russia

Pre war, he was a London Policeman.