RAAF pattern KD blouse

RAAF pattern KD blouse

June 10th, 2007, 7:36 am #1

When was the RAAF pattern KD blouse first issued? The labels on the 4 I have seen indicate 1944 manufacture, but I wasn't sure if they were used earlier?

June 10th, 2007, 11:19 am #2

I have one from a F/Sgt pilot, and its also dated 1944. I'll Ian Jenkins, see what he says.

June 10th, 2007, 3:38 pm #3

Thanks Alex. This garment is something that I don't know much about, especially since they don't turn up often.

Other questions I am interested in information on are:

1) How widespread was the issue? The one I have came in a lot to one man, and it seems that he badged it up and never used it. His KD SD tunic is very worn on the other hand.

2) Linked to this, was it only a Pacific theatre issue item?

3) Was it officially classed as workwear? I ask this as mine is badged solely on one sleeve - to f/sgt. Another one I saw had insignia on both sleeves.

June 10th, 2007, 4:07 pm #4

G'day Rich

The one I have is badged to a F/Sgt on both sleeves, and I have the blokes blue and khaki SD tunics all F/Sgt with wings, all three pretty much mint.

They are not easy to find and as far as I know not that widely used, at least Oz collectors I know consider them quite scarce. I believe they were worn in Africa, but I guess also in Oz and around the Pacific. In effect its a summer working dress, in the same way a blue battle dress would have been worn by ground and air crews in the UK.

The RAAF had a few oddities. I also have a dark blue BD style jacket, but its more like the post war open necked BD. However, it is dated 1942, has black plain buttons and was issued to a member of the RAAF dental branch.

I'll try and post some pics

June 10th, 2007, 5:06 pm #5

Alex,
Your open-necked BD is most likely a cut-down service dress. I have several from vets that served in UK. If there is a partial lining with size tag at the back of the neck, it's almost assuredly a former SD that was modified. Same thing as former USAAF SD that were converted to Ike-style jackets.

June 10th, 2007, 9:38 pm #6

Interesting thought Chris. It is cut in the same way, but it is fully lined and is complete with a buckled waist belt. The stitching on the belt is exactly the same as all the other seams. The tag on the collar is unlike any I have seen as it includes a tailor name, shop number and address! Do yours have the waist belt?

As it was used by a member of the Dental Branch it might be some sort of specific wear? I have an extremely rare RAAF Nursing Service summer tunic which is similar to the PMRAFNS Norfolk tunic but in unlined khaki drill.

Photos of the said tunic with a standard SD and also with the khaki BD, as mentioned at the start of the thread.

June 10th, 2007, 10:48 pm #7

Almost positive that's a service dress that's been cut down into a BD-style blouse. I'll dig mine out to show you. Exactly the same. No buttons on the cuff, right? Same sleeve as an SD?

June 10th, 2007, 10:57 pm #8

Seems so. I wonder why they substituted the RAAF buttons for plain? I have the blokes khaki SD aswell.

Does yours have the waist belt? Would explain why I couldn't find out what it was! Cheers Chris

June 11th, 2007, 12:35 am #9

Alex,
Here's one of my cutdown style RAAF jackets. This one is rather crude compared to the others. The waistbelt is a stub that's sewn into the existing waist area. Often, the professionally tailored jobs would involve using another SD jacket or trousers to make the waistband one piece.

All of mine have had the embossed buttons replaces with plain ones. I don't know why.

Last edited by AOC553 on June 11th, 2007, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2007, 9:36 am #10

Yes, yours is similar, the waist belt is wider and the buckle bigger. Its interesting that mine, for some reason does not have any shoulder eagles on either.

The tailors label is for 'Kays, 268 Swanston Street, Melbourne', the first one I have seen so specific on an issue label!

Thanks for clearing it up.