Peter Francis Middleton

Peter Francis Middleton

April 27th, 2011, 8:48 am #1

I have just found out that Peter Francis Middleton (yes grandfather of Kate Middleton) was a flying instructor during WWII and might have been stationed at No.37 Service Flight Training School in Calgary. This interested me as I have just visted what is left of the school (a great museum if anybody is in the Calgary area). Can anybody shed any light on wether this is true or not?
Thanks for any help,
Jb

April 27th, 2011, 12:49 pm #2

Hi

Couple of websites refer to to PFM as a Pilot instructor.

telegraphy.co.uk/news/1435149/Family-detective.html

Says PFM was a pilot just after the war finding employment in the newly emerging aviation industry.

news.yahoo.com/Peter Francis

says (14th April 2011) - The passenger list record for PFM dated 24th January 1944 in Totonto is shown in this - I COULD NOT FIND IT!

If you Goggle PFM this entry comes under KATE MIDDLETON'S GRANDPA - WAS A PILOT INSTRUCTOR.

He died on November 2nd. 2010 aged 90.

Hope this helps.

April 27th, 2011, 1:32 pm #3

I have just found out that Peter Francis Middleton (yes grandfather of Kate Middleton) was a flying instructor during WWII and might have been stationed at No.37 Service Flight Training School in Calgary. This interested me as I have just visted what is left of the school (a great museum if anybody is in the Calgary area). Can anybody shed any light on wether this is true or not?
Thanks for any help,
Jb
Hi

Thinking about it, if PFM was born in 1920 he would have been 19 at the start of the war and therefore available for military service and as he was in aviation after the war it would make sense that he was in the RAF during the war.

Also at the back of my mind I have either seen or heard that he flew Mosquito's.

Maybe someone else in the UK can help.

Cheers

May 9th, 2011, 2:13 pm #4

Hi

More information of Kate Middleton's grandad, an article printed in the MAIL ON SUNDAY yesterday in the UK (May 8th)stated the following:

Flying Officer Middleton was posted to the No.37 Service Flying School in Calgary in 1942, when he was a volunteer reservist (VR) aged just 22.
He spent two and a half years as an instructor, training Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster Pilots under the CATP scheme.

He returned to the UK in 1944 and was posted to the reservist 605 (A) squadron flying de Havilland Mosquito's and based at Manston in Kent on the South Coast.

Main operations were against the V1 Flying Bombs where they perfected the 'tip and flip' system to knock the V1's away from London their main target.

Middleton was demobbed in 1946 and joined British European Airways the forerunner of BA flying Tridents.
In 1962 he made the Middleton's first direct Royal connection when he acted as First Officer to the Duke of Edinburgh on a two month flying tour of South America.

The article also states that Kate hopes to visit her grandads old station in Canada.

cheers

May 9th, 2011, 4:13 pm #5

Thanks for that Tony, I had missed that article so it was good to read it.
ATB
Jb