Pattern 1933 gauntlet repros

Pattern 1933 gauntlet repros

February 12th, 2009, 8:52 pm #1

Ladies and gentlemen,

please forgive if his has been discussed on this forum before. Can any of you comment on these pattern 33 "straight zip" flying gauntlets offered here?

http://www.wholesalepages.co.uk/ukdistr ... 9-306.html

There is currently a pair of these (or other) repros being offered on ebay for 200USD "buy now"... Claiming the originals would go for 400...

Maybe we want to find a reasonable amount of people interested here to realize a wholesale deal. E.g. a friend of mine here in Happy Valley is an "approved dealer" for fashion/clothing.

In any case, I'd be interested to hear what knowledge you might have of these or other repros in general. Repro vs original on this particular item of equipment (cost, availabiliy, usability for reenactment etc)

Thanks in advance,

Thies

February 12th, 2009, 9:42 pm #2

Without looking I know that the real 33 pattern gauntlets didn't have gathered end cuffs or whatever it's called. £40 is good, but those repros are basically 41 pattern gauntlets with a straight zip.

February 13th, 2009, 7:34 am #3

are these merely Garcia repros?

February 13th, 2009, 9:47 am #4

Hi everyone, just found the dealer. It's Aeroleather... And the offer the same gauntlets on their website for 40GBP/pair retail.
Anyone had a chance to inspect a pair of those or otehr gauntlet/glove repros from Aeroleather.

Cheers, Thies

February 13th, 2009, 9:56 am #5

...and thanks for the Info, Ben. I found a picture of an original pair clearly showing what you described. No V-shaped bit of leather on the outside end of the p33 gauntlet, no "rap" (by means of a rubber band?) on the cuff...

Wonder why they made the repros that way, as the original p33 design is much simpler and should be easier and less costly to reproduce, non?

Thies

February 13th, 2009, 9:57 am #6

Hi everyone, just found the dealer. It's Aeroleather... And the offer the same gauntlets on their website for 40GBP/pair retail.
Anyone had a chance to inspect a pair of those or otehr gauntlet/glove repros from Aeroleather.

Cheers, Thies
Im almost positive that the Garcia/Aeroleather repros are one and the same. I have a pair, bought from Garcia and they are well made gloves, but not accurate repros of the 33 pattern. They have the same elasticised cuff as the 41 pattern, whereas original 33's had to elasticised cuff. However, the 41' pattern gloves look accurate. The zippers are nothing speical, just some modern YKKs.

February 13th, 2009, 10:25 am #7

I thought so. But I agree, surely an accurate copy of a 33 pattern shouldn't be too hard to make.

Incidentally, if anyone has a mint condition right 33 pattern gauntlet, then I would be happy to take it off your hands.

February 13th, 2009, 12:45 pm #8

Ha ha!!
The illusive right glove! You as well!

When discussing gauntlets, there's ALWAYS someone who has a left hand gauntlet, but no right. They simply aren't there!
Story is they made the right and left gauntlet in different factories as they were very 'popular' (i.e. they were stolen a lot prior to the production change). Apparently the ' left hand' factory produced lots more gauntlets then the ' right hand' factory. Hence the everlasting quest for the right gauntlet.

It seems the same holds true for the 41 pattern gauntlet. Rumor has it 'a guy' is sitting on hundreds of left hand (or right hand) gauntlets hoping against hope the other batch will turn up.

Folklore?

Cheers, Toine

February 13th, 2009, 12:54 pm #9

Padu-one-hand! Now that made me laugh!

Yes, Dave Farnsworth told me the same thing. It is a shame though, as in my pair the left glove is mint, and the right is used and named...

February 13th, 2009, 1:05 pm #10

A named gauntlet, a shame?
Well I never...

At least you have a pair! There's 'a guy'.....

Cheers, Toine