Old and New RAF Caps

Old and New RAF Caps

December 20th, 2004, 11:31 am #1

A newbie question!
What, appart from the badge, are the differences between a WW11 RAF Officers peaked Cap and a WW11 item (I have seen a `modern` one in a local shop)?
Thanks,
Steve

December 20th, 2004, 2:21 pm #2

Steve,

I'm not too sure about your question.
Are you asking, what is the difference between an original WW2 RAF peaked visor cap and a modern day reproduction?

That depends on how good the reproduction is.

I have a repro peaked visor cap and the one thing that makes it different is the shade of blue. Mine is too light. I've had the side by side comparison to an original and mine is noticibly off.

Also, the quality and weight of the material to construct the cap. Sometimes this can be obvious or not. This issue is very nit-picky.

Another thing you can check out is the chin-strap. What is it made of? Leather, vinyl or some other man made material?

I'm sure others will add on to this thread and answer your question.

Happy hunting!
Dean

December 20th, 2004, 7:41 pm #3

If you mean the difference between a WW2 production cap and a modern production cap then:

1) The modern peak is more rounded in shape.
2) The quality of materials/workmanship is generally poorer.
3) Different cap badges.

These are the main ones off the top of my head.......

December 20th, 2004, 10:02 pm #4

Thanks for the information.
Sorry if I created some confusion.
I am trying to find out the differences between a WW11 Officers Peaked Cap and the modern issue Officers Peaked Cap.
Would a modern issue cap be O.K. for reenacting purposes?
Thanks,
Steve

December 20th, 2004, 10:09 pm #5

A newbie question!
What, appart from the badge, are the differences between a WW11 RAF Officers peaked Cap and a WW11 item (I have seen a `modern` one in a local shop)?
Thanks,
Steve
Quartermaster Militaria has nice repro WW2 officer's peak caps for only $75.00! www.quartermastermilitaria.com

Merry Christmas everybody!!

Hugs & kisses -

Mike Bollow
Official ale tester - 602 Squadron

December 20th, 2004, 10:27 pm #6

Mike, it appears that the officer's caps you stock are of a blue that is too dark? Will you be looking at revising the colour?

Here's my (pre-war) cap, matching each Officer's Service dress uniform I have known - ignore the greasy marks on the peak The picture has not had any digital remastering.

The repro advertised on the site.

December 20th, 2004, 10:34 pm #7

Thanks for the information.
Sorry if I created some confusion.
I am trying to find out the differences between a WW11 Officers Peaked Cap and the modern issue Officers Peaked Cap.
Would a modern issue cap be O.K. for reenacting purposes?
Thanks,
Steve
Hi Steve,

A modern day Officer's S.D. hat will suffice as a WW2 one, if you take note of a few things.
First of all, the obvious one will be the badge, you will need to get rid of the modern Queens Crown version & replace it with either original or repro Kings Crown badge.
Next is the chin strap - WW2 ones were leather, modern ones are often some sort of plastic / vinyl / PVC thing.
The peak may need slight alteration, this can be achieved by carefully coaxing it into a more flatter position... BE CAREFUL!!
For colour difference - modern hats are often glaringly bright blue, you might want to CAREFULLY try to tone down the modern look by applying various things to it, such as bright sunlight (to fade the material) or perhaps a fine powdery type of compound (?) - I DID SAY CAREFULLY - I would suggest you take out a second opinion though (I managed to 'grubby up' my hat using all sorts of things!)

Finally - it has been said that modern hats have a piping going all way around the top whilst WW2 ones do not have this piping - Well, on the whole this is true, BUT, it is not always the case either, some WW2 hats have the piping whilst others do not - I think this depends really on who made the hat and when.

Here's a few shots of my hat after much 'special atention'(in reality it's only 5 years old!!)

Hope this helps?
Ian
57 R

December 20th, 2004, 11:17 pm #8

Mike, it appears that the officer's caps you stock are of a blue that is too dark? Will you be looking at revising the colour?

Here's my (pre-war) cap, matching each Officer's Service dress uniform I have known - ignore the greasy marks on the peak The picture has not had any digital remastering.

Richard -

I'd say your cap is an unfair example to compare to. Your blue looks to me like french blue, and it is VERY faded (beautiful cap though!). My original RAF cap is much darker and it matched the SD it came with. It is DEFINATELY a grey / blue instead of the blue / grey material used in WPG hats and my hats... which brings me to my next answer! Color "correction" is really not as easy as folks think. The reason WPG produced all those uniforms in a darker color than the originlas is because that is the BEST available! In order to make these things in the 10's or even 100's, a manufacturer needs to use EXISTING wool. To justify fabricating custom wool to match a particular color for small runs is just impossible. There aren't enough reenactors on the PLANET to justify those numbers -- unless we can get the RAF to go back to using quality wool!!!

I wish that the wool available on the market was grey / blue instead of blue / grey, but right now this is not the case. I have tried lots of ways to fix this and you can be SURE Jerry did as well when he was bold enough to take on this project.

So... what does that mean for reenactors? It means that they have quality uniforms available to them to reenact the RAF in that are slightly off in color. This does not detract from their impressions (as many an RAF vet will tell you) and does not mean they are getting a sub-standard product. It means they are getting the BEST the market has to offer at present. If a more accurate wool DOES come around in quantities that I can use, You know I'll jump on it like a BF 110 with an engine out!

Cheers!

Mike

December 20th, 2004, 11:45 pm #9

That's exactly what I was talking about. Mine looks similar to the Quartermaster peaked visor cap but with the RAF badge. It's noticibly off in a side by side comparison.
I've made the investment and I still wear it proudly.

Dean

December 21st, 2004, 12:09 am #10

Here's a picture of my QM hat, an original hat and a WPG hat... side by side.