New G Masks

New G Masks

April 17th, 2009, 11:55 am #1

These were discussed before on the forum, and a few people bemoaned the fact the inside was left unfinished. Seems they have taken that on board and produced what looks like a very good repro mask, which would need minimal finishing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-G-TYPE-RUBBER ... dZViewItem

April 17th, 2009, 12:50 pm #2

A good find Alex. However, the colour looks slightly off to me... Does anyone else agree?

I think that it's best to wait and see what Stephen Silburn has to offer. A chap on another forum told me that his friend and Stephen Silburn were working on G-mask repros. If these are as good as his E* Semi-reproductions then it is probably worth the wait.

April 17th, 2009, 1:16 pm #3

I agree the colour looks a little light Ben, although saying that, like almost all kit we are used to seeing them nowadays after they have gathered 60 plus years of dirt, storage wear, or tarnishing, so It may not be too far from the originals. Its not the finished article, but i think its a great attempt at what must be a tricky moulding.

April 17th, 2009, 2:10 pm #4

I agree that most g-masks will have 60 years of wear, but I think that mint example are better to go by. Companring mint examples I've seen with this one, I still think the colour is a bit too light. However, I too agree that this is a great attempt at what must be a tricky moulding. I wonder if AM moulds for this mask and the correct machines to make them still exist?

April 17th, 2009, 2:11 pm #5

I agree the colour looks a little light Ben, although saying that, like almost all kit we are used to seeing them nowadays after they have gathered 60 plus years of dirt, storage wear, or tarnishing, so It may not be too far from the originals. Its not the finished article, but i think its a great attempt at what must be a tricky moulding.
I agree that most g-masks will have 60 years of wear, but I think that mint example are better to go by. Companring mint examples I've seen with this one, I still think the colour is a bit too light. However, I too agree that this is a great attempt at what must be a tricky moulding. I wonder if AM moulds for this mask and the correct machines to make them still exist?

April 17th, 2009, 5:27 pm #6

Given the location, these are from a completely different manufacturer to the rubbish ones out there. I saw the first batch example at RAFM from the guy who made it and it was very good. As for the colour, it is correct for newly made masks - based on a fresh cut in a manky mask.

This is not a boglin eh Ramsey

April 17th, 2009, 6:01 pm #7

Ric-which batch are talking about that you saw? The one on eBay that Alex linked to, or the Sefton and someone elses joint effort?

Cheers mate

Ben

PS-Ric, as I mentioned I owed some people scans, would like some scans from Luft.vs RAF for the beadon suit?

April 17th, 2009, 7:37 pm #8

These were discussed before on the forum, and a few people bemoaned the fact the inside was left unfinished. Seems they have taken that on board and produced what looks like a very good repro mask, which would need minimal finishing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAF-G-TYPE-RUBBER ... dZViewItem
Well, to be honest it wouldn't be the colour. Yes it's a bit off, but the intended use wouldn't be collecting, but using it for reenactment or actual flying use.
Perfect colour would be great, but here at last is a mask one can use without the worry of ruining an original!

My main beef is with the texture around the nose area... Not only is the area too well defined (most of the mask should be textured), but the texture itself is somewhat over the top.

Then again, do any of you know of a viable alternative at this point?
I for one applaud everyone who's trying to come up with a decent repro. I'm planning on ordering one (if available in size L) and will gladly share my feedback on the mask, once received.

Cheers, Toine

April 18th, 2009, 5:40 am #9

Toine,

I pulled my two Gs out of the tin and took a look at them and compared them to the repro on ebay. The repro is very nice but as you say the nose bumps is a little over the top especially when one considers what is not there such as the cast in place writing. I have asked the seller what the size is which is kind of important. The main difference in outer shape that I see while comparing it to my two mediums is that the lower edge of the intake passages is not as pronounced on the repro. This may be because my masks are mediums whereas the repro might be replicating a large.

As for the colour, I would tend to think like Ric does and believe that the colour is accurate to the originals. If the bloke cut one open to match the colour then who can argue? One of my Gs is in very good condition and has very little oxidation as it has been stored well over the years. I do believe it to be unused as there is absolutley no soiling of the leather lining and the mic still has the stores tag on it. It is noticeably lighter than my other more "experience" mask which is quite dark, almost a US Army olive drab, except under the steel clamp where its colour matches that of the better of the two masks.

Apparently this seller is interested in pleasing the market and this mask is a bunch better than the crude one we saw a few months back. Maybe a few minor refinements and he will have a winner. I too will wait to see what Mr. Silburn offers. I hope to visit with him next week when I pick up my repro B helmet, D mask with type 21 mic, and E mask with the type 28 mic installed and some other bits and bobs. I plan to spend some time with him to unload more money on his unadvertised stuff. Apparently he has lots of hardware for MkIV goggles as years ago he bought out a chap who had bought gobs of surplus MkIV series goggles to salvage the brass. Mr. Silburn took the straps assys off of him.....

cheers

April 18th, 2009, 5:53 am #10

The colour of the new repro might be due to the flash. Here is another G for sale that appears to be pretty light and way lighter than even my good one despite this one's perishment/oxidation.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-Early-Patter ... 240%3A1318

Also, I made an error in my last post. I thought that this new repro urethane mask was by the same chap who had the mask with the crude insides. It is a different seller....

cheers