NCO Shoes

NCO Shoes

July 11th, 2007, 8:45 pm #1

Could someone give me the run down on WW2 Shoes that were worn with Battledress uniform by Non Commisiioned Officers. A picture would be great.

July 11th, 2007, 9:35 pm #2

Almost certainly oxford style for officers and gibson style for airmen. Also Royal Navy style ammo boots without separate toecaps for airmen.

July 12th, 2007, 7:38 pm #3

I'm interested to know where you've got the reference to gibson shoes for OA's from?

July 12th, 2007, 9:43 pm #4

In what way? Sorry don't quite understand what you are getting at. Oxford is a shoe with a toecap, gibson isn't. is that what you mean? I think the reference is in the osprey book RAF 39-45.

July 12th, 2007, 9:51 pm #5

Having read it, I think you're misreading the passage in Osprey - page 6.

Officers wore Oxford shoes yes, and OAs wore toecapless boots - as did officers when required. The OA style of shoe was exactly the same Oxford style as the officer's and the Gibson style shoe wasn't used by the R.A.F.

July 12th, 2007, 10:28 pm #6

OR shoes were not the same as the officers pattern. The gibson pattern (capless) were still issued in the 1960s. I was issued with them in 1969. As far as I am aware, the Oxford pattern did not come to ORs until the issue of the shoe DMS (directly moulded sole). The toecapless shoes I was issued had real leather soles.

July 12th, 2007, 11:03 pm #7

I thought ORs/OAs had ammo boots (sans toecaps) for footwear with all attire?

July 12th, 2007, 11:18 pm #8

Hi guys,

According to the old boys school (getting smaller everyday) ground crew wore black ammo boots for work on base, 'black oxfords' for everything else (parade, walking out, church etc.) The black and blue canvas PT shoes were used for, well PT of course.

One guy tells me that ORs physically working ON planes wore their oxfords or the PT shoe to avoid damaging the plane or slipping.

Never seen this in the regs, but it would make sense. Also heard there was a over-boot you could slip over your shoes/boots when working on wings etc.

Pictures would be great and would likely prove the theory a huge combination of things actually occurred (like everything else I find

July 13th, 2007, 5:55 am #9

I've had a flick through a reference book I usually use and I couldn't find any images of toecapless shoes being worn by OA Airmen. Even the picture of ATC lads showed oxford style shoes.

It surprises me that in the 4 or 5 years I've read this forum, no-one has mentioned Gibson style shoes before.

July 13th, 2007, 12:10 pm #10

There is a wide variety in the question of shoes and boots, in particular between air forces. In the RAF, Officers were issued with the classic 'Oxford' style shoe, which is still used today (as susch the Oxford shoe was not specific to the RAF). During WW2, in the RAF other ranks, or OAs were issued with 'working boots' which were ankle height, and had NO separate toecap. The sole was leather with small nails throughout (usually known as hobnails). Shoes were also issued to ORs (OA) for wear with best dress, occasionally when working and also for wear in hot climates such as Africa where they were worn with long socks.

To the best of my knowledge ORs shoes were worn WITHOUT a separate toecap. However this was expected to be polished (as on parade boos too) so that in many photos it does appear that they do indeed have a separate toecap. I have attached a photo of an AG Sergeant and as far as I can see there is no discernable line showing a toecap.

On the subject of Cadets and other air forces, the RAAF for example issued boots to Other Ranks WITH a separate toecap, leather sole and small hob nails, whereas RCAF boots were issued with NO toecap, leather sole and no hobnails. Cadets of the British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand Air Cadet units were required to provide their own footwear that was required to be black lace-up and worn with suitable socks. As the 'Oxford' style was commonly worn, many cadets appear to wear these. However, I have a photo of a cadet NCO group and the Flight Sergeant is wearing buckle-up shoes!