mk11 goggle lenses.

mk11 goggle lenses.

March 18th, 2010, 12:34 am #1

I recently bought a pair of these goggles (they are the real thing, not motor/transport and match the pair i already had) The only problem with them is one of the lenses is cracked in the corner by the hinge, i dont really mind this but just wondered if it is possible to remove the lenses from this mark of goggle? They could have been used like this i suppose.

March 18th, 2010, 8:30 am #2

If the lenses come out in the same way as the motor transport type, the pin holding the frame at the bridge should come out, then you will be able to pop out the spring holding the leather eye shield into the frame. This will give access to the lens as it is held in by the spring on the leather part. Hope this makes sense?

I have never held a pair of MkIIs so this might be incorrect but I am guessing they are constructed in a similar way to the the MT goggles. A word of caution be very carefull if you are goig to take them apart, I ruined a pair of MT goggles by trying to replace a cracked lens! Might be best to leave them as thy are.

March 18th, 2010, 3:05 pm #3

Just squeeze the springy leather cover and wriggle it out from under the lens frames. You should be able to tilt the lens itself and slide it out of the frame.

Good luck!

Cheers, Toine

March 18th, 2010, 4:28 pm #4

That sounds a better idea, less likely to do damage to them

March 18th, 2010, 11:16 pm #5

Just squeeze the springy leather cover and wriggle it out from under the lens frames. You should be able to tilt the lens itself and slide it out of the frame.

Good luck!

Cheers, Toine
Thinking about this,i think i shall leave them as they are as i doubt i will ever come across a replacement lens...maybe i will find a pair of damaged mk11 one day!

March 19th, 2010, 7:28 am #6

About two years ago there was a grinding pattern template on ebay that a glass blank was clamped to so that a new lens could be ground to the exact shape. Somebody picked it up invariably to make new lenses.

I would call Stephen Silburn....because if anybody can make them (and change them out) it would be him. I had him convert a pair of the MT goggles to AM goggles although I have not collected them yet.

Cheers,

theotherChris

March 19th, 2010, 2:36 pm #7

You could also opt to buy a pair of MT-goggles and replace the bad MkII lens with a good MT-lens.
Way less costly, plus you can sell the MT-goggles on... The lenses are left-right interchangeable so any good lens will do.

As a matter of fact, I could send you one of my MT-lenses. I'm rebuilding them to MkII's and intend to use them for flying.
As such I can't use the glass and will replace them with a modern poly-something substitute.

Mail me if you're interested.

Cheers, Toine
Last edited by ToineS on March 19th, 2010, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2010, 4:51 pm #8

Where are you finding a mark-2 goggle strap from without salvaging a rare pair?

March 19th, 2010, 6:08 pm #9

Such a strap miraculously appears from under the foot of my sewing machine, given enough time, effort and money to source the raw materials...
To be honest, it will not be as neat as an original of course, but I wouldn't want to fly with an original. It's good enough to be recognized as a MkII from a few yards away, which is just what I want

Cheers, Toine

March 19th, 2010, 6:16 pm #10

Wow! Sounds great. I'd love to see the project when it's finished.