Mannequins

Mannequins

February 3rd, 2009, 8:58 pm #1

Gents, does anyone know what the best make of mannequins are to display ones flying clothing? The mannequins that my dad has have a metal pole that goes down to the ground, so for any item like a 30 pattern suit it can't be displayed. In an ideal world, the perfect mannequin for me would be like the ones in Luftwaffe vs RAF, although to me the head sizes look too large there. I know from an old thread, that the best maker began with a 'p' but I have tried a search for that thread and I can't find it.

Thanks in advance,

Ben

February 3rd, 2009, 9:54 pm #2

This is were I got my mannequin:

http://displaymannequin.nl/men-museum-m ... 21_26.html

These are WW2 sized (small) mannequins with a choice of heads. Very nice stuff.
I do think you should combine the sale with a trip to Holland a I can imagine these aren't very 'shippable'.

Cheers, Toine

February 3rd, 2009, 11:44 pm #3

Ben

There is a bloke, and Im pretty certain its the same one, who normally has a tent at Beltring. Certainly if not the same persone the manniquins are very close. Its right on the front as you walk in, all sitting naked outside his marquee!

Be easier than ordering from abroad.

February 4th, 2009, 5:52 pm #4

Thanks all for the input. Alex I know who you mean, I too can't help but look as I walk by! I think, unless I see any for a cheaper price, that I will wait until beltring. There are other items I would rather buy than a mannequin-and with the current exchange rate these mannequins seem awfully expensive. Cheeres Toine and Alex

February 4th, 2009, 7:06 pm #5

Hi All, thought I'd add my thoughts to this thread. As some of you may know I have been looking for some suitable mannequins for my RAF "Bomber Command" uniforms and flying kit for a while now. The mention of the firm in Holland reminds me that I had a look at their mannequins and the assorted 'heads' on offer, I was struck by the thought that none of the heads were really suitable for a 1940s RAF type, with most, if not all, being more suited to a hard jawed american marine type. I have spent hours online looking for suitable mannequins that have the right 1940s 'look', most modern mannequins are out, being much too tall with extra wide shoulders with completely the wrong facial looks. I am now on the lookout for original 1950s/60s mannequins which hopefully will fit the bill - and my uniforms! Trouble is like most 'vintage' items, prices are very high and these mannequins are very rare. Is there a market for some mannequins with the right 1940s RAF Type 'Look', maybe if enough people contact this Dutch firm they might consider a producing few suitable heads? Be interested to hear any thoughts on this. Cheers, Dave.

February 4th, 2009, 7:29 pm #6

I agree Dave. However, as you mentioned, some of those mannequins from the 50/60's era are rare...maybe there is a forum about Mannequin collecting...? (I hope not!)

Dave-you mention the fact about the hard jawed american marine heads. To this I agree, so how do you rate the mannequins in Luftwaffe vs RAF given that you have the book? If you like those heads then a talk to Mick P would be good. I have been meaning to contact him, so this would give me a reason to.

Cheers,

Ben

February 4th, 2009, 8:11 pm #7

Maybe Toine would let them cast his head?

February 4th, 2009, 8:19 pm #8

LOL, is he really that handsome! They'd be better off finding a bust of an RAF pilot and using that as a bsis. Then everyone can say they have Sailor Malan in their collection!

February 4th, 2009, 9:17 pm #9

Here's a picture of couple of mannequins that I think are near to what I have in mind, and are of a type I would like to find. These are from a company website based in the USA, the chap restores and sells all kinds of vintage mannequins, but his prices are very high. These would look very good in period uniforms and do look quintessentially 'RAF types'. Dave S.

February 4th, 2009, 10:19 pm #10

Trouble with these mannequins is they have sculpted hair.

Your flying helmet would look decidedly silly on these 'dolls'. Or you'd have to sand all the hair away...

I do agree most of Jaspers heads are of the square jawed type.

He does have better heads, but the one I recognize (as I have one on my mannequin) is sold out. You can't make out the head behind the 'sold out' text, but here's a pic of the one I got:

Cheers, Toine
Last edited by ToineS on February 4th, 2009, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.