Mae West Dye Packs

Mae West Dye Packs

April 18th, 2007, 3:29 pm #1

Despite having collected for 30 odd years I have never really worked out what the panel is used for that is under the left arm on the 41 pattern Mae west, or how it is used in conjunction with the dye marker pack. Can anyone enlighten me?

The panel on the vest is so made that I can't see how anything is held in it. Also, the dye marker is quite a small pack, so do they go together?

April 20th, 2007, 11:59 am #2

Hi - is this what you're looking for? The dye pack has 2 'tabs' at the opening end. One is sewn onto the mae west itself and the other is attached to the inside pointed end of the pocket flap. The flap is then sewn down to form a pouch around the pack. When you pull open the pocket flap - the dye pack is peeled open releasing the fluorescein. Picture courtesy of David Farnsworth.

April 21st, 2007, 12:25 am #3

At last, I always wondered, that flap under the arm always seemed a bit odd to me. I guess they are basically in an 'unissued' state then, without the dye pack sewn in? Its amazing how many wartime photos of aircrew then appear not to have the marker pack fitted to the vest.

Thanks, its all clear now.

I'm not after one at the mo, but wasn't someone doing repro dye packs recently?

April 22nd, 2007, 9:38 am #4

Hi Al, i've got one in the loft, drop by & i'll dig it out for you so you can have a look at it. It's easier to understand how it relates to the mae west if you have an example to look at...

April 24th, 2007, 4:28 pm #5

Despite having collected for 30 odd years I have never really worked out what the panel is used for that is under the left arm on the 41 pattern Mae west, or how it is used in conjunction with the dye marker pack. Can anyone enlighten me?

The panel on the vest is so made that I can't see how anything is held in it. Also, the dye marker is quite a small pack, so do they go together?
Hi, i was just wondering if anyone out there could tell me , are these dye packs pretty rare as i have never seen one for sale before and if so what sort of money do they fetch ? i have one tucked away somewhere which i paid a couple of pounds for years ago at a Biggin Hill airshow, many thanks
Terry