Let the learning begin

Let the learning begin

February 4th, 2011, 2:12 am #1

February 4th, 2011, 6:14 pm #2

Shouldn't the pocket flaps have 3 scallops?
The majors crowns are too near the chevrons.
Turtleneck sweater can be any type of sweater. Navy probably.

I'm no expert, but I'd stay clear of it.

How did I do?

Cheers, Toine

February 4th, 2011, 8:07 pm #3

I think that actually is something quite rare. The cuffs are pre-simplified, the pockets are Canadian...is it a Canadian prewar tunic? Though it's plausible they re-introduce the turnback cuffs after the war (the stores number looks like a post war thing). But those buttons...hmmm

I'm wondering if it's a varient of the Sergeants 1919 now...

February 4th, 2011, 8:10 pm #4

You know, I think ruddy IS an prewar Private Purchase sergeants tunic with issue (perhaps post war) trousers and extraneous bodge badges and jumpers - just realised the label is from the trousers and not the jacket. The extent of the bodge I cannot comment on, though my suspision is that the stripes and eagletrosses are pukka, whereas the wings, medals, and crowns are not.

February 4th, 2011, 8:53 pm #5

I think Steve has something. The tunic has the faux French cuff which were pre-war, and also the single point pocket flaps with was a left over from the high collar post WW1 era tunic. The ribbons, stripes and crowns look fine to me, the eagles are RCAF pattern which is a little odd on an RAF tunic. Wings look pretty good to me but i'd have to see a closer scan to be sure. I have seen crown worn low on the stripes, especially if a trade badge was worn above so thats not terribly unusual.

The trousers look unissued and have a 1941 contract number on. I cant remember the details of the 'PWS' stamping which has been discussed here before). I wonder if the 'private purchase' tunic indicates a pre-war part-timer (RAuxAF or RAFVR - or were they all Commissioned? I cant remember), or just a well made pre-war tunic that has no label?

Probably a bare early tunic that has been tarted up a bit, but all in all looks okay to me. The scarf and jumper are a bit irrelevant. Not worth $900.00 though...

February 4th, 2011, 9:00 pm #6

I think we may, together, have found the solution:

Early Pre-War RCAF (did they not have pointed pockets) private purchase (due to the lining) tunic with added bodge

February 4th, 2011, 10:39 pm #7

I think thats probably it, although I cant confirm the faux French cuffs and single point pocket flaps were features of the RCAF tunic pre war. But I think its all pucker, just probably not all original to each other..

February 5th, 2011, 4:46 pm #8

This is an RCAF service dress uniform. The pocket flap configuration is correct.

My questions to you: What indicators would prompt someone to suggest pre-war?

Why are RAF buttons present?

For $900, I would hope to see some definitive responses before parting with your cash!

FYI: "PWS" is previously worn servicable.
Last edited by AOC553 on February 5th, 2011, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2011, 4:58 pm #9

......Thought 'PWS' was Prisoner of War Surplus!!!

Have a nice weekend. For the US Footballers, going with the Pittsburgh Steelers!

Glenn

February 5th, 2011, 6:09 pm #10

This is an RCAF service dress uniform. The pocket flap configuration is correct.

My questions to you: What indicators would prompt someone to suggest pre-war?

Why are RAF buttons present?

For $900, I would hope to see some definitive responses before parting with your cash!

FYI: "PWS" is previously worn servicable.
I guess I totally flunked this test!!!
On the other hand, WW2 is more my cup of tea. As this appears to be pre-war...

Cheers, Toine