Lancaster Museum Event Nanton AB August 25

Lancaster Museum Event Nanton AB August 25

June 7th, 2007, 11:06 pm #1

I just had a long and very productive discussion with Tink Robinson who is our point man for the Lancaster Museum Society in Nanton Alberta Canada (which is about 1 hour out of Calgary).

Through the unending promotion of Karl Kjasgaard of Rescue 57 (the latest Halifax bomber project) any and all RAF/RCAF Living Historians have been invited to their August 25 event. The basic concept is to have a minimum of 7 properly attired Second World War re-enactors mount a display and mince about a Lancaster bomber.

The Nanton “Bomber Command” museum is a world class (the only one I know of) which promotes the efforts of Bomber Command in the Second World War (as well it is privately funded).

The main focus of the event this year is to recognize the sacrifice made many American citizens who served with Bomber Command in the RCAF and of course the RAF.

They are extremely excited about the prospect that we Brylcreme boys can come and play at their museum.

They are providing a very prominent display area for the boys in blue.

Included are meals, a banquet and an honorarium, photo shoots (yeah for those of us who are narcissistic) and other amenities for those who come (as well as their significant others), not to mention wonderful Albertan hospitality.

As part of the event the Lanc engines will be run up and WE GET TO PLAY IN THE LANC during that run up!

Out of Winnipeg we are prepared to provide 3 aircrew and one WD and a RCAMC female type for the event.

According to Tink, American Veteran groups as well as Canadian Legion members and other veteran associations are behind the event, and it is a major push for them.

For those of you who have seen “Bomber Boys” on PBS or History Channel: Joe English who was featured in the series is well past 80 years of age. Joe is very much involved with the Nanton Museum. According to Tink he is presently building a plane which he intends to fly. WOW!

A little about Tink…(http://www.tinkrobinson.ca/) he has had a stellar military career. Among other things his son is a safety officer for the Snowbirds (there was a recent tragic crash in Montana). The Tudor jet his son flew (as part of the team) is also on display in the museum. As well Tink’s father was one of the original post war owners of the Lanc that is at the museum.

This museum is an unusual museum as they allow the general pubic to access and get inside their acquisitions. No hands off here!

I know that the event is a hard drive for most of those who do not live in Alberta.

Consider me your liaison if you decide to make the trip. We can accommodate overnighters in Winnipeg as well as set up and provide you with an itinerary to ensure a pleasant trip.

What I/we need is a commitment from anyone who wants to plan an exciting adventure in Canada.

Believe me…It’s Worth the Trip ( that is an inside joke that only people from Winnipeg will understand…Google it! To find out more).

Links:

http://www.57rescuecanada.com

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca

Please think about attending (and all that wonderful Canadian beer at you disposal)!

Feel free to contact me at: zorniak at shaw dot ca for further information.

Cheers

Don Zorniak

aka Mickey Mykytyn

http://www.six-oh-two.com

June 11th, 2007, 9:51 pm #2

Although I've been following this forum for quite some time now this is my first post, so I hope that you'll all bear with me.

At this particular time I would just like to say that I'm looking forward to meeting a number of you at the Nanton Lancaster Museum on Saturday, August 25th. If everything goes according to Hoyle, I will be the uniformed fellow sounding the "Last Post" during the commemorative ceremony scheduled to take place at the Bomber Command Memorial.

I know that it will be a great weekend and you're going to have a great time crewing that Lancaster. Nanton is a real "hands on" experience and from what I've heard everyone there is excited about your participation.

You're in for some real southern Alberta hospitality.

For my part, I'll be more than happy to take those willing, on my own personalized .25 cent tour the BACTP bases at Claresholm, Lethbridge, Macleod and Pearce. I might not even charge.

Wishing you all "Good Medicine" from Trail's End Studio.

George Kush

June 22nd, 2007, 7:03 pm #3

I just had a long and very productive discussion with Tink Robinson who is our point man for the Lancaster Museum Society in Nanton Alberta Canada (which is about 1 hour out of Calgary).

Through the unending promotion of Karl Kjasgaard of Rescue 57 (the latest Halifax bomber project) any and all RAF/RCAF Living Historians have been invited to their August 25 event. The basic concept is to have a minimum of 7 properly attired Second World War re-enactors mount a display and mince about a Lancaster bomber.

The Nanton “Bomber Command” museum is a world class (the only one I know of) which promotes the efforts of Bomber Command in the Second World War (as well it is privately funded).

The main focus of the event this year is to recognize the sacrifice made many American citizens who served with Bomber Command in the RCAF and of course the RAF.

They are extremely excited about the prospect that we Brylcreme boys can come and play at their museum.

They are providing a very prominent display area for the boys in blue.

Included are meals, a banquet and an honorarium, photo shoots (yeah for those of us who are narcissistic) and other amenities for those who come (as well as their significant others), not to mention wonderful Albertan hospitality.

As part of the event the Lanc engines will be run up and WE GET TO PLAY IN THE LANC during that run up!

Out of Winnipeg we are prepared to provide 3 aircrew and one WD and a RCAMC female type for the event.

According to Tink, American Veteran groups as well as Canadian Legion members and other veteran associations are behind the event, and it is a major push for them.

For those of you who have seen “Bomber Boys” on PBS or History Channel: Joe English who was featured in the series is well past 80 years of age. Joe is very much involved with the Nanton Museum. According to Tink he is presently building a plane which he intends to fly. WOW!

A little about Tink…(http://www.tinkrobinson.ca/) he has had a stellar military career. Among other things his son is a safety officer for the Snowbirds (there was a recent tragic crash in Montana). The Tudor jet his son flew (as part of the team) is also on display in the museum. As well Tink’s father was one of the original post war owners of the Lanc that is at the museum.

This museum is an unusual museum as they allow the general pubic to access and get inside their acquisitions. No hands off here!

I know that the event is a hard drive for most of those who do not live in Alberta.

Consider me your liaison if you decide to make the trip. We can accommodate overnighters in Winnipeg as well as set up and provide you with an itinerary to ensure a pleasant trip.

What I/we need is a commitment from anyone who wants to plan an exciting adventure in Canada.

Believe me…It’s Worth the Trip ( that is an inside joke that only people from Winnipeg will understand…Google it! To find out more).

Links:

http://www.57rescuecanada.com

http://www.lancastermuseum.ca

Please think about attending (and all that wonderful Canadian beer at you disposal)!

Feel free to contact me at: zorniak at shaw dot ca for further information.

Cheers

Don Zorniak

aka Mickey Mykytyn

http://www.six-oh-two.com

Hey everyone,

I'm likely going to splurge and come out to this even though work here at the fort is very busy in late August. Now all I have to do in convince the wife too.

I'll keep you posted on the prgress.

Cheers,

Bob

Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse, National Historic Sites of Canada
Parks Canada

June 30th, 2007, 10:43 pm #4

Now that I have convinced the powers that be (wife, work) I was wondering who else is attending this event.

Looking forward to meeting anyone who can make it. I'll be bringing ground and aircrew kit and some goodies to give out or trade with folks.

Cheers,

Bob

Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse, National Historic Sites of Canada
Parks Canada

July 3rd, 2007, 1:51 am #5

I'm think I'm in. I should be able to hold a weekends off line in August, bidding #6 on my current equipment. I'll have to travel from Oklahoma, but at this moment, I think I'm in. Bob, send me an email offline saabpilot98@cox.net.