khaki 37 pattern BD

khaki 37 pattern BD

February 22nd, 2005, 7:39 pm #1

Hello lads,

I've read that after landing on Normandy and during the battle to free northern Europe, crewmembers had to wear the 37 pattern khaki BD.
Were canadian khaki BD's different from british ones ?

Regards

Stéphane

February 22nd, 2005, 8:35 pm #2

Not an expert, but Canadian BD was more green-ish in colour and had different buttons.

I understand it was highly desireable over British BD because the wool quality and craftsmenship.

Not an expert though...

Huxley

February 22nd, 2005, 9:30 pm #3

You are right Huxley about the colour Canadian BD was a greener colour.

Chris

February 23rd, 2005, 12:15 am #4

Yes, the buttons were different: the standard Brit ones were O.D. plastic with four holes, and the Canadian ones were a different type stamping, with a wire piece for stitching on. They are also enammelled O.D. green, where brass British ones were natural color.(Pre-Austerity British 37 pattern had brass buttons with 4 holes)

The Canadian shade was described as more of a bronzier green to the British brown.

Also, the Canadian BD was the original 37 pattern- with covered buttons, pocket pleats, cuff tabs and belt loops on the trousers, and a few other differences. In 1940 the British changed(without replacing the 37 pattern uniforms already issued or in stock, which continued being issued until supplies exhausted) to the "Austerity" pattern BD, which used less material by deleting the pocket pleats, covers over buttons on the front and pocket flaps, belt loops, etc. This was an economy move to save material. Canadian BD was also a less coarse wool material, and was considered the thing to have. However, both patterns retained the hook and eye closure for the collar at the throat, which was not changed until the 47 pattern BD.

Robbie

February 23rd, 2005, 1:47 am #5

Hello lads,

I've read that after landing on Normandy and during the battle to free northern Europe, crewmembers had to wear the 37 pattern khaki BD.

Regards

Stéphane
If I may, the Canadian BD also had an alternate method to secure the collar besides the usual hooks and eyes. A wool tab was sewn to the left collar and was attached to a button located on the underside of the right collar. When collar was worn open, the tab was folded back and attached to a second button on the underside of the left collar. A good reference to this feature is the photograph on page 6 on Michael Dorosh's book, Canuck.

February 23rd, 2005, 2:54 am #6

I'd not completely remembered the tab and button collar hook up- I could not remember if it was postwar or not, but I recall now you mention "Canuck" reading about it there.

Nice pics of the two BD in comparison-

Robbie

February 23rd, 2005, 2:59 am #7

I just looked at the pockets on the Brit BD again- I have never seen that "match" before- looks like one is the trouser patch pocket(on the right side of jacket- left for view)Definitely falls well below the other. Is this an original, or a repro?

Robbie

February 23rd, 2005, 3:06 am #8

Hello lads,

Regards

Stéphane
As noted, the Canadian BD was made using a khaki-olive colour as opposed to the khaki-tan used on British BD. There were also considerable, although subtle, differences between the UK and Canadian patterns. Most noticable differences were a much fuller cut and a supposed better quality wool. The Canadian buttons can be described as being inverted olive-green metal top-hat shaped. Early Canadian blouses retain the eyelets at the neck for fastening the collar whereas jackets after ~1943 are seen with a simple cloth tab that buttons across the throat.

The terms of P37 and P40 are actually very misleading. The original BD was known as Blouses, Serge and there really aren't that many of them around. These early blouses were devoid of the drill lining reinforcing the neck openings and also featured pockets set a bit lower on the jacket.

The P40 looks very similar to the P37 blouse. The cut was reduced to be somewhat more closer fitting, and drill lining added to the inside of the collar, but these jackets outwardly look the same as the P37 -- retaining pleated pockets, front fly, etc. These jackets are what are typically perceived as being P37 when they are, in most cases, early P40 jackets.

The "Austerity/Economy" Pattern BD was also known as P40. While a big deal with collectors today, the wartime military didn't give it much thought. It was just another evolution of the design. These should probably be referred to as P42 jackets as the elimination of the pocket pleats and the exposure of the buttons didn't come about until 1942.

February 23rd, 2005, 4:06 am #9

I just looked at the pockets on the Brit BD again- I have never seen that "match" before- looks like one is the trouser patch pocket(on the right side of jacket- left for view)Definitely falls well below the other. Is this an original, or a repro?

Robbie
Robbie, I got the pics off of John Cameron's MP Museum web page.

http://www.mpmuseum.org/index3.html

Chris

February 23rd, 2005, 7:45 am #10

Hello lads,

Regards

Stéphane
Hello Stéphan,

This very interesting picture is a very fine example of what the "Normandy-dress code" was like. It is of 245 Typhoon squadron, at Le Fresne Camilly.
This clearly shows that khaki BD was indeed worn, though not always as a complete uniform.
I have been looking in to this subject too, and funny enough i decided NOT to wear Canadian BD, as all personell in this picture is wearing the British 1940 pattern khaki BD. I am quite sure Canadian BD would have been worn too, but this picture suggest most were the standard British version.

a larger verion of this picture is at:

http://home.planet.nl/~ijdo0017/bdgrouplarge/home.html

Hope this helps,

Prune.