Irving Jacket

Irving Jacket

EWJ

November 22nd, 2006, 5:47 pm #1

I say Chaps and Chapesses, I came across this from "Sportsmans Guide" - the surplus store in St. Paul, MN.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=310837

Didn't looks quit pukka but thought I'd run it up the old flag pole to see what you thought.

Elliott James,
138 (Special) Squadron.

"Only birds and fools fly by day, only bats and bloody fools fly by night"

November 22nd, 2006, 6:16 pm #2

Hi,

I think it's a chinese made. You can see a lot of these on ebay deutschland...no idea about quality...

Cheers

November 22nd, 2006, 6:59 pm #3

....the inside may very well be "canine" fur. I for one boycott any Chinese fur items as the Chinese slaughter dogs and cats for fur. They slash the upper inside leg/groin area and let the dog bleed to death, then surgically knife off the entire coat. They wash it and color it, but it is what it is. The fur adorns ladies shoes, hood fur, coat fur, handbags, etc. ...Apologies to the group for an opinion on an off color subject, but it hits home for many of us....

November 23rd, 2006, 10:46 am #4

I say Chaps and Chapesses, I came across this from "Sportsmans Guide" - the surplus store in St. Paul, MN.

Didn't looks quit pukka but thought I'd run it up the old flag pole to see what you thought.

Elliott James,
138 (Special) Squadron.

What bothers me most about most repros (unless it's an Eastman or Aeroleathers) is the poor cut and finish.
Compared to many of the so-called 'original Irvins' out there, the style and cut of this jacket isn't too bad, though.

It could easily be improved upon with a better zipper and another beltbuckle.
The colour seems to be a very dark brown rather than a mid-brown, but even that is not too bad.

All in all, a nice jacket. Not your typical 'Irvin', but a nice jacket for that price.

Cheers, Toine
Last edited by ToineS on November 23rd, 2006, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2006, 5:39 pm #5

I must admit the cut of the jacket looks pretty good. Can't comment of the origin of the skin (although at the end of the day they all come from some animal or other), but many repros, of any style often look bad.

I wanted an A2 and after looking for a year, and getting one (a Cooper I think) decided to go for an Eastman. its also more practical of course than shelling out a lot on a genuine item.

November 28th, 2006, 10:22 pm #6

I'm going to buy one. They're available in Jan. Let me just say:

1. MilTec makes some pretty good products.

2. Sportsmans Guide will accept returns without question. I've been buying stuff from them for years.

The ad says it's shearling so I really doubt you are going to wear somebody's pooch. Though you will be wearing somebody's sheep.

November 28th, 2006, 10:33 pm #7

Elliot... do you know anyone that works for Sportmens Guide in the Twin Cities area?

I used to work with the art director (now long since moved on, sadly) who used to get me products at his cost.

I remember a MG-34 parts kit that sold for $600 that I believe I bought for aound $400. (Perhaps 6 yeas ago.)

As always, it helps to know someone...

Huxley

P.S. - nice meeting you and your wife at Rockford!

December 7th, 2006, 3:16 am #8

Despite the mystery materials, is the sportmans guide jacket's milti-panel construction a bad repro? Does anyone have or seen an original with this many panels? I know that later irvins had more panels, but is this one a bit overboard?

December 7th, 2006, 9:11 am #9

I have a late war Irvin similar to this - it is made up of roughly 36 panels of various sizes with different coloured fleece (from white to green!). The other thing that makes it stand out from earlier jackets is the awful build quality - looks like it was assembled in a serious hurry.

December 13th, 2006, 1:51 pm #10

Elliott James,
138 (Special) Squadron.

Here's Miltec's website reference the jacket

http://www.sturm-miltec.de/english/start.html