April 15th, 2003, 9:46 pm #1

Does anyone make these in the U.S.???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=4726

Thanks!

PDV

Tim Sullivan
Tim Sullivan

April 15th, 2003, 10:23 pm #2

He makes primarily Canadian Army repro paperwork but does do a few things that cross the lines between Army and Air Force. His ID Discs are one of those things. He custom-dyes the discs based upon the proper branch of service (as apparently AF tags were SLIGHTLY different in colour than Army tags...likewise for Brit and Canadian tags).

His e-mail address is tlee@tiwsteelplatework.ca you can get a hold of him there with any questions you may have about product availability. Co-incidentally, he's also looking for RCAF/RAF paybooks and other paperwork so I'm sure if anyone else had paperwork they'd like to see reproduced he's more than up to the task. I can't say enough nice things about his repro paperwork...his Army paybooks are identical to the ones that I have that belonged to my Grandfather...GREAT work!!! He's so exacting in getting it right I've gotten three different ID cards from him, I couldn't tell the difference between ANY of them, but he wasn't happy with them, thankfully FINALLY is. So that's a testament to the quality....just great stuff. I'll also point him towards this forum and I'll get him to contact you directly...

Tim

Tim Lee
Tim Lee

April 16th, 2003, 11:58 am #3

Thanks!

PDV
Hello PVD,

As Mr. Sullivan stated I do make reproduction ID tags.
I have sold a few sets to people on this board for use in RCAF & RAF Impressions.

I have been selling them through PEGASUS PRODUCTIONS.

Email me at tlee@dellmail.com if you're interested in a set. I'm not in the USA but located in Canada the land of stupid Politicians.

Tim

Jason K
Jason K

April 16th, 2003, 12:04 pm #4

Thanks!

PDV
I have a set of ID tags that I obtained through Pegasus and are quite satisfied with them. Whenever the RAF/Commonwealth paybooks are reproduced, I will be in line behind Tim to pick one up.

JK

Dan S
Dan S

April 16th, 2003, 12:28 pm #5

Yes, I agree with Jason, Tim's tags are first-rate, look just like the originals, only they have you info and lack sixty years of age!

The string he uses on them is apparently a particular type that identically matches that on the originals, as well.

If you want tags, don't hesitate to get them from Tim.

January 30th, 2011, 11:18 am #6

Hello PVD,

I have sold a few sets to people on this board for use in RCAF & RAF Impressions.

Email me at tlee@dellmail.com if you're interested in a set. I'm not in the USA but located in Canada the land of stupid Politicians.

Tim

Hello all,

my curent search for info on RCAF ID discs leads me here to ask for any hints, tips and iddeas on where to find reliable info on the various systems of informaion put on ID discs in the various Commonwealth countriesand services.

There is a dutch webite giving a pretty good overview over the Canadian army system athttp://members.home.nl/hins/Index2.html

However, e.g. when it comes to the abbreviations for religiou preference, the first inconsitencies with originals come up, like CE for Church of England, not CoE. Or UC for United Church, not UN-C. So, for example how reliable is LUTH for Lutheran, BAPT for Baptist etc - Could it have been simply L and B, like J for Jewish?

Then,the RCAF had its own system, abbeviating Canada CAN insead of CDN fo example.

Opposed to the above website's statement "[Army] Officers were identified by name and rank only.", RCAF officers did hve an ID number (4 to 5 digits plus the district prefix letter based on examples from the Canadian War Museum' collection) on their discs, whereas their rank was not give in full, but simply as OFFICER.

There is not much info I have found and what I have doesn't always seem to add up, as people will gladly give you bits of knowledge as "facts" without distinguishing between the British and Commonwealth countries' systems (e.g. RAF vs. RCAF), differences between the services (see above. And I haven't even gotten the Navys or Womens' Services into the mix yet) or even todays' system and that/those of ww2.

I have contacted both Canada Archives and the Canadian Air Force Museum. The couldn't help. The Canadian War Museum couldn't provide in-dept info on the system either, but kindly sent me sample information form both Army and RCAF discs in the collection.

Anybody here able to shed more light on the matter??

Best wishes, Thies

January 30th, 2011, 5:41 pm #7

Yes, I agree with Jason, Tim's tags are first-rate, look just like the originals, only they have you info and lack sixty years of age!

The string he uses on them is apparently a particular type that identically matches that on the originals, as well.

If you want tags, don't hesitate to get them from Tim.
RCAF ID discs on eBay right now. I have saved the photos as per usual

Bob

February 2nd, 2011, 6:33 am #8

Hello all,

my curent search for info on RCAF ID discs leads me here to ask for any hints, tips and iddeas on where to find reliable info on the various systems of informaion put on ID discs in the various Commonwealth countriesand services.

There is a dutch webite giving a pretty good overview over the Canadian army system athttp://members.home.nl/hins/Index2.html

However, e.g. when it comes to the abbreviations for religiou preference, the first inconsitencies with originals come up, like CE for Church of England, not CoE. Or UC for United Church, not UN-C. So, for example how reliable is LUTH for Lutheran, BAPT for Baptist etc - Could it have been simply L and B, like J for Jewish?

Then,the RCAF had its own system, abbeviating Canada CAN insead of CDN fo example.

Opposed to the above website's statement "[Army] Officers were identified by name and rank only.", RCAF officers did hve an ID number (4 to 5 digits plus the district prefix letter based on examples from the Canadian War Museum' collection) on their discs, whereas their rank was not give in full, but simply as OFFICER.

There is not much info I have found and what I have doesn't always seem to add up, as people will gladly give you bits of knowledge as "facts" without distinguishing between the British and Commonwealth countries' systems (e.g. RAF vs. RCAF), differences between the services (see above. And I haven't even gotten the Navys or Womens' Services into the mix yet) or even todays' system and that/those of ww2.

I have contacted both Canada Archives and the Canadian Air Force Museum. The couldn't help. The Canadian War Museum couldn't provide in-dept info on the system either, but kindly sent me sample information form both Army and RCAF discs in the collection.

Anybody here able to shed more light on the matter??

Best wishes, Thies

Thanks to Bob Campbell for pointing out the tow RCAF discs currently availble on the bay. One of them promptly adds another to my cataloque of questions relating to the various systems used troughout the Commonwealth and the various services.

One of the discs that Bob pointed out has a single A stamped on the back. Any ideas what that stands for? I does not seem to corelate to any info on the front e.g. the serial number's prefix letter is different.

And BAP has thus surfaced on an original as an abbreviation for Baptist. Not BAPT as the Hins collecction website says. I also found an RCAF disc for a Jewish airman stamped neither JEW nor J, but HEB. So, once again: Wrong info circulating, or further distinct differences between the services?

What is so weird is that this is not pre-historic code we are trying to decypher. The specifics of what info to put on ID discs and how were obvioulsy set and documented somewhere within the administrative apparatus without which no 20th century war was fought. But where to find those regs...

February 2nd, 2011, 11:44 pm #9

Hello PVD,

Tim

Tim,

I tried to email you at that address and it came back as unknown IP address.

Feel free to contact me at robert.campbell@pc.gc.ca

Cheers,

Bob

February 3rd, 2011, 4:17 am #10

Thanks to Bob Campbell for pointing out the tow RCAF discs currently availble on the bay. One of them promptly adds another to my cataloque of questions relating to the various systems used troughout the Commonwealth and the various services.

One of the discs that Bob pointed out has a single A stamped on the back. Any ideas what that stands for? I does not seem to corelate to any info on the front e.g. the serial number's prefix letter is different.

And BAP has thus surfaced on an original as an abbreviation for Baptist. Not BAPT as the Hins collecction website says. I also found an RCAF disc for a Jewish airman stamped neither JEW nor J, but HEB. So, once again: Wrong info circulating, or further distinct differences between the services?

What is so weird is that this is not pre-historic code we are trying to decypher. The specifics of what info to put on ID discs and how were obvioulsy set and documented somewhere within the administrative apparatus without which no 20th century war was fought. But where to find those regs...

Anyone who quotes Sir Harry the terror of all the fags (in the historic, private school sense) at Rugby, is OK in my book. So much so that I will scan my photo archives to see what other discs I have saved from eBay over the years.

Hope it doesn't complicate things too much

Cheers,

Bob