Graham Potts

Graham Potts

March 29th, 2009, 4:03 pm #1

Hi everyone. If anyone has the Luftwaffe vs Raf Flying Equipment book, please could you tell me whether the two pictures in the 1932 pattern (temperate) mae west section attributed to Graham Potts (page 32) are from his collection or are they AM ministry photos? I was interested because I have a small purple book called Aeronautica (A.J.Marriot Smith) and in that book the chap who is wearing a b-type helmet looks similar to the chap in Graham Pott's picture.

Does Graham Potts still collect? As he has some very rare items listed in Mick Prodger's books...

March 29th, 2009, 4:23 pm #2

Ben

I knew Graham about 25 years ago in London, and in fact the last time I saw him was at his flat near Baker Street, where he offered me a mint harnessuit for £45.00, which I turned down as it didnt have the harness with it (Little did I know then, they never do!). before that he had lived in the same town as me, albeit a few years older.

About 18 months ago, through an ebay deal I found him again, having wondered for years where he went. I dont have his initial mail to me but I think he said he got rid of pretty much all he had. He is now in Australia, and concentrates more on classic cars.

March 29th, 2009, 4:57 pm #3

Thanks for the info Alex: I remember you telling me about that harnessuit!

Actually, I think I might have asked Dave Farnsworth about him, and he said that he sold most of his collection as well.

Cheers Ben.

March 29th, 2009, 5:59 pm #4

I met Graham at one of the Veovilton Aerojumbles during the mid 1980s. He had recently won a gorgeous B-Type with D mask and Type 19 mic at the fabled Kent Sales Auctions. This was the first Type 19 I had seen to handle. Seeing that kit was like meeting some famous person.
Graham was very enthusiastic about his collection - so it is a shame he sold it.
Cheers Neil

March 29th, 2009, 6:55 pm #5

Neil, I was just reading back through some e-mails and you said just that. I was I had been able to go to a militaria fair like that in my time; if I'm lucky I'll see one b-type a year at say 30-50 miltaria fairs all year, discluding all the antique fairs and shops I get dragged to.

March 29th, 2009, 7:15 pm #6

The last time I chatted with Graham about 18 months ago, we were recalling two particular shops in the town, one that was camping gear, military etc, and the other that sold radio parts. Graham went on to say how he used to pick up C Type helmets at the first for £3 a piece, and mics at the second for under a quid.

His really was THE collection at the time. He was finding things for next to nothing, realising what they were when everyone else had little interest. I know he had several prestige suits, B Types and D masks, rare E type masks and numerous other rare bits. But like all of us, he missed things too. One regret he told me was a number of electrically heated (not just wired) flying suits, dismissing them as post war Canadian. They were actually pre war RAF, and he had the chance to buy several for what he described as 'ordinary money!'

March 29th, 2009, 7:41 pm #7

Hi Ben and Alex,
Again at a Veovilton Aerojumble in the 80's a seller had one of the super rare blue short sleeved / legged harness suits complete with harness, etc! It may well be the same suit that appears in Mick P's book. The seller wanted 300 quid! which may have seemed a lot of money at the time, but I didn't as I realized the rarity of this suit! The trouble was, I had spent my money that day! Having grabbed a pair of of MKIIIa's for 35 quid and a 1937 dated B-type with E carbon / D-mask for 200 quid. (I thought that was a lot of money). But not now!
Those were the days!
Cheers
Neil

March 29th, 2009, 8:09 pm #8

Neil, you sent me pictures of what you got at that aeromart-and those items you bought are in superb condition, I bet that you could make 10 times that mmount if you ever had to sell them. Those really were the days; I wish I was alive then...

That blue suit that you mention is really very rae-I have neer seen one of those for sale. Do you ever wish you had got the suit and no the goggles and helmet set up? Or do you ever wish that you had asked the seller if he could 'reserve' it for you

Graham Potts seems to have had quite a collection. It's a shame that people are having to save up for years just to buy items like a microphone nowadays, as then collecting must have been much more fun. I mean, personally I find saving up quite fun, but it's te principle that it will all have to start again-and also the fact that-as a collector-you will always be on the hunt for more.

March 29th, 2009, 8:16 pm #9

it will continue though. Ben, in 20 years, you'll be on this forum saying, "I remember when you could pick up a B helmet cheap at £500, not the £2000 they are now!"

Thing is, its knowing what is going to be valuable. If we had that forsight it would be fantastic! Ric has the right idea, picking up 50s and 60s gear now while its still pretty cheap.

March 29th, 2009, 8:24 pm #10

Yes, I know. I had the exact conversation with my father-the thing is, at the time it will always seem expensive. I would, like Ric, buy the 50/60's kit-but I can't bring myself to do it as I like the Battle of Britain so much.