Gents, Looking for some Flight Gear.....

Gents, Looking for some Flight Gear.....

December 6th, 2007, 4:46 pm #1

.....to be specific, a full loom for an E* Oxy mask....Type 26 or 28 mic, with receivers in good order.....Have come up short in the last few months.

Million thanks!
Glenn

December 6th, 2007, 5:24 pm #2

Glenn

The Type E* mask used the same mic and loom as the later (early style) G Type mask, and B, early C, early D and early E helmets. The loom is the 'externally wired' type which is pretty easy to find (in fact I just lost out to one on ebay about 5 minutes ago - mint). The Type 26 mic is the same as the Type 35 and Type 48, the difference being the loom set-up - either a full external loom (on the type 26), full external loom with impedence box (on the Type 35) or short loom as used on the later C, D and E helmets (Type 48).

The type 28 'ping-pong ball' type mic is a rare one and pretty hard to come by. I bought a mint one with loom in the box earlier this year, but I have only ever seen about two others and usually in poor condition. Earphones too are pretty easy to find.

In January I bought a mint E* mask, with mint dark mauve loom, earphones and mic at £250 - a steal!

One of the best to try is Steve Milnthorpe who trades on ebay as 'stalagluft3'. A superb bloke and usually able to help, very good prices too. Outside ebay you can try Dave Farnsworth at Historic Flying Clothing too. If that fails, let me know and I know at least two other dealers who can probably help.

December 6th, 2007, 9:25 pm #3

.....to be specific, a full loom for an E* Oxy mask....Type 26 or 28 mic, with receivers in good order.....Have come up short in the last few months.

Million thanks!
Glenn
I believe David Farnsworth site has an E-Mask listed! Did you win the Lottery? or are you not Married right! Either way it'll cost ya! HO! HO! HO!

Wingco

December 6th, 2007, 11:26 pm #4

Glenn

were you after the full set up, or just the loom and mic? The person I got my E* mask from has very good prices (A D mask in pretty good nick at £400). He's in Belgium. At the same time, the dealer whose loom i missed out on has mailed to offer another. Its a mint loom but no mic, bell plug or earphones. Do you want me to ask if he has another? Adding the plug, mic and phones would be easy enough.

December 6th, 2007, 11:57 pm #5

Million thanks!
Glenn
Glenn,
I'd happily sell an E type to you on the understanding that I could send you badly out of focus photographs thus hiding the dreadful condition of the mask, promise you 10 U.S. Dollars in cash and not send it...and then finally ignore any of your e-mails.....just as you have done to me.
Horrible man.

December 7th, 2007, 8:21 pm #6

Chaps ...
You may not be aware, but Steve SILBURN (Sefton) now offers reproduction E* masks. He has had the rubber facepiece "re-cast", which is then fitted out with all the "metalwork" etc. taken from derelict original masks.

These E* masks can obviously then be fitted out with the loom / receiver set-up of your choice (for either an externally or internally-wired helmet).

These E*s very accurate, as anyone with a Sefton Type D oxygen mask will appreciate. Certainly better than risking damage to a real one, if you intended to use it for living-history / re-enactment...

December 8th, 2007, 1:29 pm #7

Glenn

The Type E* mask used the same mic and loom as the later (early style) G Type mask, and B, early C, early D and early E helmets. The loom is the 'externally wired' type which is pretty easy to find (in fact I just lost out to one on ebay about 5 minutes ago - mint). The Type 26 mic is the same as the Type 35 and Type 48, the difference being the loom set-up - either a full external loom (on the type 26), full external loom with impedence box (on the Type 35) or short loom as used on the later C, D and E helmets (Type 48).

The type 28 'ping-pong ball' type mic is a rare one and pretty hard to come by. I bought a mint one with loom in the box earlier this year, but I have only ever seen about two others and usually in poor condition. Earphones too are pretty easy to find.

In January I bought a mint E* mask, with mint dark mauve loom, earphones and mic at £250 - a steal!

One of the best to try is Steve Milnthorpe who trades on ebay as 'stalagluft3'. A superb bloke and usually able to help, very good prices too. Outside ebay you can try Dave Farnsworth at Historic Flying Clothing too. If that fails, let me know and I know at least two other dealers who can probably help.
.....I'll put your suggestions into action!

Many thanks, have a great weekend!
Glenn

December 8th, 2007, 1:32 pm #8

I believe David Farnsworth site has an E-Mask listed! Did you win the Lottery? or are you not Married right! Either way it'll cost ya! HO! HO! HO!

Wingco
.....It may become a toss-up......Buy Loom, or pay mortage!......I am trying to piece one, rather that buy the whole, as it may cost less.....Not certain, but that may be the way to go....

Million thanks,
Glenn

December 8th, 2007, 1:37 pm #9

Chaps ...
You may not be aware, but Steve SILBURN (Sefton) now offers reproduction E* masks. He has had the rubber facepiece "re-cast", which is then fitted out with all the "metalwork" etc. taken from derelict original masks.

These E* masks can obviously then be fitted out with the loom / receiver set-up of your choice (for either an externally or internally-wired helmet).

These E*s very accurate, as anyone with a Sefton Type D oxygen mask will appreciate. Certainly better than risking damage to a real one, if you intended to use it for living-history / re-enactment...
.....from Steve at Sefton! Not repro, it's new old stock. In retrospect I should have had Steve supply the loom, but everything became a bit pricey, so Steve added the oxy hose and clip, while I am seaching for the loom and it's parts....The hunt and then the joy of finding pieces at good prices is fun.....Just don't want it to go on forever!

Many thanks,
Glenn

December 8th, 2007, 1:39 pm #10

Wingco
....at his calalogue, but his items fly off the table quite fast.....

Million thanks!
Glenn