Gents, Have a Question re Serial Numbers

Gents, Have a Question re Serial Numbers

March 28th, 2007, 11:12 pm #1

Thanks to all, as this is new to me.....If one were to acquire a personal item from an RAF Pilot, RAF Regiment, etc., how would one go about researching his serial number if it were on an item?.....Is it a web site? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Again, a Million thanks to all!

Glenn

March 29th, 2007, 12:09 am #2

Glenn,
This subject came up once before but I haven't been able to find the thread yet.

Officers service numbers are easier to research via officers lists and gazzette entries. Info on ORs is extremely difficult to trace.

March 29th, 2007, 12:22 pm #3

I have a Sidcot flight suit that was from an RAAF officer. I went on an Australian War Service website, looked up his named based on the service number and asked for the service records. A few months later they posted at least 10 pages of info on the guy for free. It cost to make copies and ship.

Turned out the guy was a nav in Fairey Battles, then Lancs, was shot down and became a POW. Tried to located him thru his sq assoc- 467 Sq. No luck. I stuck the info in the flight suit. Someday some other collector might be interested to know who this guy was.

Vinney

April 1st, 2007, 9:18 pm #4

To try and find details on any airman or airwoman is very easy if you have the magic 'service number'. The RAF, RNZAF, RCAF and RAAF all have various records departments and it usually comes down to one of two things. Firstly who you make contact with, and secondly the cost.

In the case of the RAF, I have some good contacts although unfortunately they tend to have a habit of moving on! Airmens and Officers records are held at RAF Innsworth in Gloucester. A search of the records costs £25.00 although you usually have to have permission from the person or next of kin. I have applied with NOK permission and was sent a record free of charge. If the person applies themselves its usually free. I have had several vets happy to give their permission or apply and then pass the records on to me.

With the RCAF, I have had mixed fortunes. Initially I applied for about 20 records and they sent copies of all of them, (usually two pages listing postings and promotions) although for those gents who had died in the last 20 years or so (or were still alive) some items were blanked out. Later I applied for one of the records again and was given a list telling me there was some 400 pages or so at 10 cents a page (or something). Another occasion recently took almost a year for a reply and just contained brief details included in the letter.

With the RAAF they usually give brief details of postings and promotions. They also have a site on line that gives a good start, (http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/doc/about.asp)

But the RNZAF are the best. I applied for a record, and if they have confirmation the person is deceased, they will send you everything free of charge. And by that I mean everything! As archivist to my old school, I applied for one of our war dead who travelled to NZ in the 30s and joined the RNZAF at the outbreak of the war. I got copies of his school certificates, medical records, marriage papers, driving license, all his air force papers and more.

So if you are searching for someone, try and make him a Kiwi!

April 2nd, 2007, 1:26 am #5

Do you have an internet address for the NZ link? cheers

April 2nd, 2007, 2:12 pm #6

To try and find details on any airman or airwoman is very easy if you have the magic 'service number'. The RAF, RNZAF, RCAF and RAAF all have various records departments and it usually comes down to one of two things. Firstly who you make contact with, and secondly the cost.

In the case of the RAF, I have some good contacts although unfortunately they tend to have a habit of moving on! Airmens and Officers records are held at RAF Innsworth in Gloucester. A search of the records costs £25.00 although you usually have to have permission from the person or next of kin. I have applied with NOK permission and was sent a record free of charge. If the person applies themselves its usually free. I have had several vets happy to give their permission or apply and then pass the records on to me.

With the RCAF, I have had mixed fortunes. Initially I applied for about 20 records and they sent copies of all of them, (usually two pages listing postings and promotions) although for those gents who had died in the last 20 years or so (or were still alive) some items were blanked out. Later I applied for one of the records again and was given a list telling me there was some 400 pages or so at 10 cents a page (or something). Another occasion recently took almost a year for a reply and just contained brief details included in the letter.

With the RAAF they usually give brief details of postings and promotions. They also have a site on line that gives a good start, (http://www.ww2roll.gov.au/doc/about.asp)

But the RNZAF are the best. I applied for a record, and if they have confirmation the person is deceased, they will send you everything free of charge. And by that I mean everything! As archivist to my old school, I applied for one of our war dead who travelled to NZ in the 30s and joined the RNZAF at the outbreak of the war. I got copies of his school certificates, medical records, marriage papers, driving license, all his air force papers and more.

So if you are searching for someone, try and make him a Kiwi!
.....It is an ID bracelet, quite nice for it's age, has the ser# along the top, with name on the bottom of this oblong item, with the RAF crest in the center. I input this ser# into the Aussie site and came up with a name of a gent in the Australian Army, a different name than what I have on the item.....I guess I could try the NZ site, but my guess is that this gent was RAF, or RAF Regiment.....Do you have an RAF/RAF Reg. web address where I can look up the ser# on this item?

Many thanks!
Glenn

April 2nd, 2007, 2:14 pm #7

Do you have an internet address for the NZ link? cheers
Could you please provide the NZ address?

Many thanks,
Glenn

April 11th, 2007, 10:25 pm #8

.....It is an ID bracelet, quite nice for it's age, has the ser# along the top, with name on the bottom of this oblong item, with the RAF crest in the center. I input this ser# into the Aussie site and came up with a name of a gent in the Australian Army, a different name than what I have on the item.....I guess I could try the NZ site, but my guess is that this gent was RAF, or RAF Regiment.....Do you have an RAF/RAF Reg. web address where I can look up the ser# on this item?

Many thanks!
Glenn
Post the serial number and I'll give it a whirl for you - I have a reasonably complete list covering RAF serial number block allocations from the RFC up to the 1990's.....

April 13th, 2007, 12:54 pm #9

The RAF I.D. bracelet belonged to an "S. Sharp", Serial Number "178803". The piece is oblong, Gold Filled Sterling, RAF inlaid crest (small) in the middle, Ser Number across top, name across the bottom. On the back is engraved, "Love, Nell". It certainly piqued my interest, and I want to thank you very much for your "investigation"!

My best regards,
Glenn

April 16th, 2007, 11:47 am #10

Glen,

No problem! Glad to be of assistance. I've had a trawl and found the following which may be of some interest...

Genral Duties Branch RAFVR

Sgt (1621440) Stanley Sharp promoted to Act P/O Prob w/ef 18 May 1944
Promoted to F/O 18 Nov 1944

General duties usually, but not always, indicates aircrew.

His enlisted man's service number was part of the block 1610001 to 1649900 allocated to civilian entrants, location not specified, between April & October 1941. As his name does not appear in the CWGC register, it would be safe to assume he survived the war. His name does not appear in the list of European PoW's either.

Sorry I can't help further, but at least you know what he wasn't! If he had served in the RAF Regiment, I would have expected his details to have stated so - not General Duties.

Hope this is of some use to you.....