For Sale; Repro MkII goggles

For Sale; Repro MkII goggles

July 30th, 2012, 2:15 pm #1

Have for sale(or swop) a boxed 1970's reproduction MkII goggles. Asking price without shipping 75,- GBP or deals welcome.

Regards,
Adrian

August 4th, 2012, 12:42 pm #2

22C 826 is the stores reference number for MK VII goggles debatably 1941ish. Most MK II goggles were in the bin long before 1940. Elaborate hoax?

August 4th, 2012, 6:15 pm #3

I think when these were produced they were indeed made in order to decieve the unwary buyer so in that respect they could correctly be called a fake. The incorrect stores number comes from a mistake in one of the early books on flying headgears (I forget which) being copied by the faker. They are now however widely known about and I doubt anybody would be taken in by them, indeed some collectors like a pair for curiosity value. Or as is the case with this pair offered as reproductions for the re-enactor.
Jb

August 5th, 2012, 9:58 am #4

Interesting info. about the ref. number Neil. I have a pair of Mk II goggles but they are far to fragile to use they need Steve Silburn's golden fingers run over them. Motorcycle or Tank goggles are a close enough option for renactors you see them on ebay all the time advertised as Aviator goggles and the price is right too.

August 5th, 2012, 2:00 pm #5

Have for sale(or swop) a boxed 1970's reproduction MkII goggles. Asking price without shipping 75,- GBP or deals welcome.

Regards,
Adrian
Goggles are sold

Regards,
Adrian

August 7th, 2012, 10:39 am #6

I think when these were produced they were indeed made in order to decieve the unwary buyer so in that respect they could correctly be called a fake. The incorrect stores number comes from a mistake in one of the early books on flying headgears (I forget which) being copied by the faker. They are now however widely known about and I doubt anybody would be taken in by them, indeed some collectors like a pair for curiosity value. Or as is the case with this pair offered as reproductions for the re-enactor.
Jb
The mistake was in Jim Weld's book Flying Headgear of the World (1980).