Flap Type Mae West Photos

Flap Type Mae West Photos

April 13th, 2009, 6:26 am #1

For those interested - here are some photos of the Flap Type Mae West.
Following up to a previous thread - note the Kapok Pillow contained in a pocket on the reverse of the cape flap. This pillow added extra buoyancy for the flap.
Some people speculate the pocket was for hand paddles. It can be seen by the photo, the pocket was for a standard front lobe kapok pillow.
I have other photos of this vest if anyone is interested.
Cheers
Neil
?t=1239603447
?t=1239603485
?t=1239603516
?t=1239603535
?t=1239603555
?t=1239603570

April 13th, 2009, 10:04 am #2

Neil, lovely Mae West Were not those photos on the Eagle Squadron website?

April 13th, 2009, 10:51 am #3

Neil, thats a beautiful vest, and looks totally complete too, very nice. According to the gen, the flap type was done away with because the dinghy came in to use, and so although there would have been a cross over period, paddles wouldnt have logically been carried in the pocket. Also, I'd think they'd be hard to get out too. But from the photos the pocket looks to be professionally fitted, so maybe some sort of trial mod?

On a similar note, does anyone have any knowledge of the kapok pads fitted to the tailor suit, or a set they can photograph and add here?

April 13th, 2009, 11:49 am #4

Hi Ben and Alex,
Yes, this is the same vest as on the E.S. website, but different photos. I obtained and used a better camera for these.
This vest is complete, even with the inflation apparatus. The bottle is still charged! I have photos of the inflation system if you're interested.
I have a scull cap, heliograph and life line for it too.
How this vest's flap survived being cut off is a mystery. Perhaps the wearer chose to keep it in tact due to superstitious reasons. It has certainly seen action - it is named and there could be traces of blood on it too.
As for the variants of the Flap Type - I can see in photos of Eagle Squadron pilots with what must be the very first variant F.T. with a flap that has Kapok filling on only two sides of the triangle. Plus that variant didn't have the leg straps or left front pocket. I don't know if mine would be classed as the second variant, but mine got added the extra kapok, the left front pocket plus leg straps.
Cheers
Neil