First Light

First Light

September 15th, 2010, 7:41 am #1

Anybody seen it yesterday on BBC2?
Very well made I thought. Lots of aerial footage, among which classic BoB scenes with added special effects.

Brilliant voice over and shots of Geoffrey Wellum himself.
All in alll well made and a fine tribute on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain!!

I thought Brian Kingcome could've been cast better
The gear was as it should be. Uniforms seemed post war but as I said, very well done overall.

Try to see it if you can!

Cheers, Toine
Last edited by ToineS on September 15th, 2010, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 15th, 2010, 9:59 am #2

Dear Toine, I agree. I thought it was a very well made programme. I have to confess I watched it because I had made the principal's helmet, mask, goggles and life jacket. They had also hired a parachute from me which seem to have appeared in every shot. I am surprised it hasn't come back threadbare! Having got over the initial excitement of seeing my work, I then thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme. Bearing in mind, according to the costume designer, this production had a modest budget I thought they did very well. I have just spoken to a Spitfire pilot friend who told me the internal aerial shots of Geoffrey Wellam were in fact taken in a Yak, I believe 52, and he said he felt it made a very convincing Spitfire shot. The only critcism I have, which I feel is down to bad direction, was the callous attitude taken towards the dead airman by the Home Guard. I feel certain he would have been covered with the parachute and, if not, the 2 RAF officers would have seen to it that he was. But there, it's drama.

September 15th, 2010, 10:02 am #3

Very well made I thought. Lots of aerial footage, among which classic BoB scenes with added special effects.

All in alll well made and a fine tribute on the eve of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain!!

The gear was as it should be. Uniforms seemed post war but as I said, very well done overall.

Cheers, Toine
I liked it, a lot of our lads from SO44 were in it and it was mainly filmed up at Twinwood which is our group base.

The women's stuff, was as usual dire....they're only fluff and totty after all. (rolls eyes) WAAF with tatty hair hanging down etc..50's hairstyle etc...

I liked the chap playing Kingcome, thougt he had the right mix. The lad playing Wellum was excellent and it was nice to see the real relationships between groundcrew and pilots.

After all, was nice to have something on mainstream TV that isn't a reality show, a diet show or a bloody soap!

September 15th, 2010, 12:02 pm #4

I too enjoyed it, as a flying jacket 'buff' it was disappointing to see them using incorrect shearling jackets for some of the pilots, most notably Kingcome; however, it appeared they had got themselves at least two Eastman repros for the cast which looked the part so a mixed bunch. The 'old' BOB film looked good and not aged at all, the new CGI effects worked well on the old footage. Hopefully a dvd will be released at some point.

September 15th, 2010, 12:52 pm #5

Cheers, Toine
Hi ya

Yes, we were in this too (RAF at War) and most of the uniforms used in the film by the actors were actually wartime - that was something that did impress me...

In fact, at least 1 Irvin jacket worn by one of the actors was 100% real, as I had a good look at it...and all the boots that they wore as well...

All in all, it turned out rather good...apart from all the clips from the BoB film...which I thought was a bit wrong but then they had a limited budget, so I can understand the reason for this...

September 15th, 2010, 1:57 pm #6

Dear Toine, I agree. I thought it was a very well made programme. I have to confess I watched it because I had made the principal's helmet, mask, goggles and life jacket. They had also hired a parachute from me which seem to have appeared in every shot. I am surprised it hasn't come back threadbare! Having got over the initial excitement of seeing my work, I then thoroughly enjoyed the whole programme. Bearing in mind, according to the costume designer, this production had a modest budget I thought they did very well. I have just spoken to a Spitfire pilot friend who told me the internal aerial shots of Geoffrey Wellam were in fact taken in a Yak, I believe 52, and he said he felt it made a very convincing Spitfire shot. The only critcism I have, which I feel is down to bad direction, was the callous attitude taken towards the dead airman by the Home Guard. I feel certain he would have been covered with the parachute and, if not, the 2 RAF officers would have seen to it that he was. But there, it's drama.
May I ask if the type 19 microphone was in fact a type 21 covered in chamois leather? If so what did you make the other parts of the mic from as it looked very good and I might have a go at doing that with a knackered type 21 for display.

September 15th, 2010, 3:38 pm #7

Hi ya

Yes, we were in this too (RAF at War) and most of the uniforms used in the film by the actors were actually wartime - that was something that did impress me...

In fact, at least 1 Irvin jacket worn by one of the actors was 100% real, as I had a good look at it...and all the boots that they wore as well...

All in all, it turned out rather good...apart from all the clips from the BoB film...which I thought was a bit wrong but then they had a limited budget, so I can understand the reason for this...
If anyone knows who made it or if it's for sale, then I'd be interested!

I watched it, and sadly hated it. The characters were way off and I didn't feel that it fitted the story. The kit was very good though, although half the aerial shots were shown in reverse. It was a shame, as I could have felt more attached to the character if the programme had been longer or shown in parts (like Piece of Cake). It's such a great book, and I just feel that justice wasn't given to it.

Steve, the vest you made for that film looked awesome. It looks like a clone of the one you made me! Excellent work Stephen. So was the helmet he wore the one you showed me?

September 15th, 2010, 4:57 pm #8

Some were very definately not wartime! And Wellum's last peaked cap was awful! Several of the jackets had mismatched belts, which as an ex costume bod is realllllly irritating.

Not sure who the WAAF's were, probably just extras but they needed a bloody hairbrush and a lesson in rolling their hair!

There were points where the old footage looked a little tatty, but enough to distract..

September 16th, 2010, 1:00 pm #9

Sorry kate, I beg to differ but the uniforms (officers) for the lead actors were actually wartime - I managed to check them out while I was there.

They needed a clean and the buttons were filthy but they were of the wartime period...As for the belts, they were attached to the uniforms and were correct, I not sure why, when you actually look at the programme (especially in iplayer) they look a different colour to the rest of the uniform - they weren't on the day! Rather odd...

I noticed that in later scenes they do look different but not certain why.

It might be the muted colours that the production team have used for the final tv cut...

As for the WAAFs - there was only the one from my team, and she was in the first scene (in the corridor)walking towards the camera past 'Boy'...and there was certainly nothing wrong with her uniform or hair...)

In the pub scene and outside, I am afraid I am not certain who that WAAF was (none of mine could make that day's filming) so presume the ladies are other extras?

September 16th, 2010, 1:08 pm #10

If anyone knows who made it or if it's for sale, then I'd be interested!

I watched it, and sadly hated it. The characters were way off and I didn't feel that it fitted the story. The kit was very good though, although half the aerial shots were shown in reverse. It was a shame, as I could have felt more attached to the character if the programme had been longer or shown in parts (like Piece of Cake). It's such a great book, and I just feel that justice wasn't given to it.

Steve, the vest you made for that film looked awesome. It looks like a clone of the one you made me! Excellent work Stephen. So was the helmet he wore the one you showed me?
Agree - I think they could have done a better job (there was some major scenes that were left out) but, with the budget that they were on, and the time frames they had, the TV/film company worked miracles to get it made at all...see link below, (Photographed in a subtly washed-out colour that seems entirely right for the period)

http://www.theartsdesk.com/index.php?op ... &Itemid=27

Interestingly, a lot of the general public really liked it (read the comments at the bottom of the link below):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2010/09/f ... e-re.shtml