Extraordinary Irish Radio on 'Paddy Finucane'

Extraordinary Irish Radio on 'Paddy Finucane'

September 10th, 2005, 7:39 pm #1

This was done a while back on Paddy. It's quite astounding, as we actually hear Paddy speaking regarding his exploits. We also haer a few other pilots, along with his brother, Kevin, who goes back to where he and his bothers Ray and Brendan grew up!! It's quite a long show, and I believe it goes on for over 25 minutes or so. I certainly wanted to share this great pice with all on this great Forum!

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/story/1034277.html

It's the second paragraph down.

Have a pint and listen.....I belive you will certainly enjoy. Please let me know your thoughts!

September 12th, 2005, 4:46 pm #2

......?

Thanks!
Glenn

September 13th, 2005, 2:25 pm #3

Glenn, had a listen and was most moved by the account. Even though it's some sixty odd years on it's still so very sad to read, or in this case listen, about the deaths of these glorious young men.

I thought this account was very well done in painting a small portrait of Brendan Finucane for us. I laughed a bit because I've been pronouncing his last name wrong all this time. It's intrigued me to read more about Paddy and I'll have to find a copy of his biography.

Most interesting parts - well, obviously when the fortune teller told him as a child that he would die a 'watery death at the age of 21'. But also when his brother arrived at one of their old houses and you could hear the cars whizzing by in the background. He remarked that in their day (can't remember if they lived here in the 20's or 30's) that the only sounds were the 'clip-clopping' of horse carts. Progress? Well, I'll let others be the judge of that, but I was most certainly born far too late.

A remarkable man and a true hero. I will most certainly be hoisting a cold one in his - and all the others - memory on Thursday. I hope many will do the same. Cheers to all.

September 13th, 2005, 6:35 pm #4

Ever player I use says the .ram format won't work.

What did you listen to it in?

Infernal PC formats drive us Mac-daddies bonkers...

September 13th, 2005, 7:55 pm #5

How are you? I couldn't get it to play at first either. Had to download a version of Realplayer. It was free and easy enough to do, but unfortunately I now can't figure out what version or where I got it from. When I went to the link and clicked on it, it asked me if I wanted to save the file (.ram format). This I did. Then when I double clicked the file it asked if I wanted to select a medium to play it, or if it should select it ('it' being my computer I suppose). I told 'it' to make the bloody selection, as how the hell should I know? Again 'it' opened the Realplayer screen for me to download a free version.

Probably no help, but I don't know what makes them work old boy, I just bang on the bloody keys.

September 15th, 2005, 1:16 pm #6

Thanks Dickie!

Have it now.

Fantastic audio programme.

And its B-O-B day lads!

Stand by your glasses steady...

ATB -

Huxley

September 15th, 2005, 3:44 pm #7

This was done a while back on Paddy. It's quite astounding, as we actually hear Paddy speaking regarding his exploits. We also haer a few other pilots, along with his brother, Kevin, who goes back to where he and his bothers Ray and Brendan grew up!! It's quite a long show, and I believe it goes on for over 25 minutes or so. I certainly wanted to share this great pice with all on this great Forum!

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/story/1034277.html

It's the second paragraph down.

Have a pint and listen.....I belive you will certainly enjoy. Please let me know your thoughts!
Given the fact that we could actually hear his radio broadcasts! These came after Paddy claimed his 22nd victory and was being acknowledged as the next Bader! The British broadcasts never gave the pilot's name that was being interviewed for security reasons, only calling them 'Spitfire Pilots'. Later that night those pilot's took a good ribbing from their Squadrons for their interviews!

As a last note-----
I have just named our new puppy "Brendan Eamon Finucane II" (As shown on the American Kennel Club Documentation) and yes, we call him "Paddy". Irreverant? Maybe. Heartfelt? Yes.

Have a great day, Lads!
Glenn

September 15th, 2005, 5:48 pm #8

Cheers!

Huxley

T-6

May 3rd, 2006, 2:51 am #9

Given the fact that we could actually hear his radio broadcasts! These came after Paddy claimed his 22nd victory and was being acknowledged as the next Bader! The British broadcasts never gave the pilot's name that was being interviewed for security reasons, only calling them 'Spitfire Pilots'. Later that night those pilot's took a good ribbing from their Squadrons for their interviews!

As a last note-----
I have just named our new puppy "Brendan Eamon Finucane II" (As shown on the American Kennel Club Documentation) and yes, we call him "Paddy". Irreverant? Maybe. Heartfelt? Yes.

Have a great day, Lads!
Glenn
Hi,
Just wondering where you found that photo you use as an avatar. I don't think I've ever seen it before.
Any chance a "Paddy" fan and fellow Irish pilot could have a copy?
Thanks