Escape boots....

Escape boots....

April 26th, 2010, 6:44 am #1

I have been looking for a nice pair of '43 Escape Boots (with knife!) so I find this one listed on eBay...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WW2-RAF-43-Escape ... 483a51d61c
but why would a seller decide to remove the knife that came with them and then say he may sell it separately?! If the said knife is original to those boots then surely it should remain so.

April 26th, 2010, 12:19 pm #2

.....Money.

Also, I'm sure all on the Forum have seen first hand that eBay is rife with Sellers that cut up and separate pairs and sets and sell them 'individually'. Latest item was a set of C Type receivers being sold individually a month or so ago.....Greedy or capitalistic? Hmmmm.

April 26th, 2010, 2:10 pm #3

Total greed then, reminds me of those idiots that used to buy USAAF A-2 jackets and remove the patches and chits back in the late 1970's and sell the jacket and patches separately thereby ruining forever important historical items. I would have thought this seller would have got a top price anyhow as the knife would have been present which of course is a rare thing to find complete.

April 26th, 2010, 3:39 pm #4

Some people are looking for the knife seperately so will bid on that. Others want just the boots so will bid on that. Others want both so will bid on both. The result? Probably a really high price for both items because there will be more bidders.

April 27th, 2010, 12:13 pm #5

But does anyone have any concrete evidence of the knives actually look like? There were so many variations and they ofetn used thier own.

April 27th, 2010, 12:31 pm #6

There is plenty of evidence out there although there was an identical knife with a longer blade that is often mistakenly sold as such. There were no variations just one pattern knife, although assuming pilots used any knife you could then just stick anything on and sell it as such couldnt you Adam?

April 27th, 2010, 12:56 pm #7

We bought a pair only last month which contained a knife which had slid down inside the lining.

We sold the knife alone for 200 GBP. The knife had been there for umpteem years without the ownwer knowing. Other items in the collection included Five Goldfish groupings, jut the badges, photos and one of these actually has a bar or another Wave indicating the guy had comne down in the sea twice.

The buyer of this is now questioning this badge and it's authenticity, and this came from you Alex with your receipt. Although personally my Dad & brother say it's 100% genuine. Seems people question anything these days, but I and my bro disagree on the knives due to the above. Would have agreed before, but the knife found had NEVER been removed from the linig of the boots.