Ebay item

Ebay item

February 11th, 2009, 12:47 am #1

An Oz friend of mine flagged this to me, and along with another Aussie friend found it very distasteful. I do to, but what do others think, assuming with the pedigree its genuine anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RAAF-PILOT-WW2-O ... dZViewItem

February 11th, 2009, 3:12 am #2

I understand that the seller took great pains to obtain this stuff but to turn around and offer it for sale? He should donate the lot to the musuem at EK or something....

theotherChris

February 12th, 2009, 4:06 pm #3

I agree with you Chris.
However at least this seller was able to salvage these precious items.
It takes a lot to get me mad - but this makes my blood boil that some IDIOT(S)would throw these artifacts IN A SKIP! The mentality of an individual to do such a thing just leaves me disgusted and speechless!
I thought at least these days people had a sense of preservation, to honour our brave service Men and Women, and to perpetuate the history for future generations.
Let us hope that this was just an isolated event at Binbrook - but somehow, I doubt it.
Neil

February 12th, 2009, 5:27 pm #4

Hi all, I have just noticed that the seller is Militaria 911. I believe that he and yourself (Alex) have a less than satisfactory reltionship, if I'm not mistaken, and thus this could put doubts on the authenticy of this item...

February 12th, 2009, 5:41 pm #5

If you're disgusted with the people who carelessly tossed these things in the rubbish heap, then I agree. I don't know if I would condemn the seller completely. At least he managed to save some of these things from being ingloriously thrown out - there's no shame in that. Personally I couldn't then sell them for profit, but what should he do with them? It's fine to say 'donate them to a museum', but contrary to popular belief, museums will not often take any old thing, even if they are original wings, etc. Many museums have tons of donated things in storage as is with no hope of displaying them all. For example, I live in the States and a friend of mine was a former curator at the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. Sometime between the World Wars the British government sent to them a huge collection of regimental badges, etc from various time periods representing every regiment in the British Army. According to him it contains things that would 'make one drool'. It will never see the light of day as there is almost nil interest to display them.

So what do you do with them? I would try to find the original vet owners, their families or an association of the squadron that might take them. Short of that, better to be sold to a home - one of us perhaps - who might do what's right with these things than have them binned.

February 12th, 2009, 6:15 pm #6

I agree with you there John-in my opinion immediate or any close family should be contacted before a museum. Selling the items though is not, in my opinion, the best route to take first. I would sell the items if I had them, but only if Museums turned me down, and I couldn't contact the family.

February 12th, 2009, 6:53 pm #7

John,
I acknowledged the person who salvaged the items in my post.
I agree with you regarding donating items to museums.
The most honourable thing the seller could do in that case, is to donate his "profits" to charity benefitting Service Men and Women.
Cheers
Neil

February 12th, 2009, 8:29 pm #8

Now that's an excellent idea Neil.

February 12th, 2009, 8:41 pm #9

I too concur-a good idea Neil!

February 12th, 2009, 9:19 pm #10

Ebay item
February 12 2009 at 4:14 PM Mark
(Login ww2raaf)
from IP address 84.69.218.85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello chaps,
I found this thread very interesting though I am not sure where the dissatisfaction lies. I, like the rest of you have the utmost respect for the WW2 veterans and am honoured to be associated with quite a few. I personally cant see the difference between selling these items and the sale of any other form of militaria. The sale of any item of militaria is a profit making exercise which can be even more surprising when it is by the family. Whilst we cherish these veternas many of their family never met them, have no real association with them and are not interested in the items. I have bought items from family who do not want to keep the items but ardently hope they will go to a good home and be cared for.

My real disgust lies in the wanton disregard for these items that led to them being disgarded. I can assure all of you that I am pesonnaly aware of numerous instances of this type. Even the most revered public museums have recent history of destruction, sale, throwing out or giving away of donated or gifted items. I know a number of people who have pulled items from bins; and then been accused of being vultures and told that they should hand them back or give them to a museum. I have corresponded with family whose father loaned his log book to a museum that subsequently sold it.

I firmly belive that as collectors we have more attachment to these items because we pay for them. Personally if someone offers an item for sale I am happy, not sad as one of us might end up with it.

My thoughts anyway
Best wishes and happy collecting