'Eagle Squadron' badges..

'Eagle Squadron' badges..

July 30th, 2007, 12:18 pm #1

Has anyone seen these floating around on ebay? Although the description is wrong and the DFC a bit fanciful, they seem to carry the hallmarks on the reverse. Although nice, I can see a few of these with the DFC removed being offered as the genuine item in the near future..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0135492402

Buyers beware, as the genuine item can sell from anywhere between £700 and £1400!!

July 30th, 2007, 6:30 pm #2

I asked the seller of these badges for more details. It seems he has one that had a miniature DFC attached Which was what I suspected. However, itv appears they also carry the Sterling Silver Hallmark and the J R Gaunt stamp, which could make many collectors vulnerable to being ripped off. They do appear very shiney though which gives the game away somewhat. I have one which is unissued and still in its box, and the finish is slightly frosty.

July 31st, 2007, 9:38 am #3

Has anyone seen these floating around on ebay? Although the description is wrong and the DFC a bit fanciful, they seem to carry the hallmarks on the reverse. Although nice, I can see a few of these with the DFC removed being offered as the genuine item in the near future..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0135492402

Buyers beware, as the genuine item can sell from anywhere between £700 and £1400!!
I have no real problem with “Reproduction” badges, however direct copies or “Fakes” are something else.

Copying English hallmarks is illegal and comes with fairly hefty penalties. Under English law and the Hallmarking Act each piece (including sub-components) is individually assayed (tested) and if it passes it is marked, if it fails the normal remedy by the Assay office is to destroy the piece. Occasionally they will allow the maker (Sponsor) to remove an offending component, and after remanufacture resubmit the piece.

In theory if the badge does carry fake hallmarks and was purchased by a buyer from the UK it could be destroyed, as it may be deemed an illegal piece at the point of import. Special arrangement can be made with the Assay Office to remove the illegal marks and for the piece to be assayed and correctly hallmarked with modern marks including that of an imported article.

I have seen a number of these badges (without the DFC addition) appear for sale over the past couple of years that indicate that someone was faking them, as a casting split line was evident.

It will be interesting to hear of the response from the seller to the questions that have been asked of them.

July 31st, 2007, 10:23 am #4

Hi Hylton

I asked those very same questions of the seller, and these were his replies...

(On the subject of reproducing the 'J R Gaunt' makers stamp) '...Thank you for your information. I have trying very hard to obtain information about this badge and will correct my write-up with your details. Concerning trademark, Gaunt has never trademarked their stamp in the USA. I conducted a full search of the the USA Patent and Trademark office...'

(On the subject of the English silver Hallmark) '...Its just the word sterling...'

The genuine badges are marked in two places on the reverse. Bottom left are five small boxes each with a letter 'J R G & S'. Bottom right are three boxes, each with an English silver hallmark/assay mark. I dont know much about foreign silver markings but it seems that in the main in the US and Canada the simple term 'Sterling' is usually used, so on that score, it is correctly marked (as being US made) and also an easy way, once this is known, to spot a reproduction.

I have an unissued one on its card and in the original box, but considering the costs of these if genuine (anywhere between £700 and £1400 (say US$1400 to US$2800) I would consider one as a gap filler if I didnt already have one. But its potentially an expensive trap for the unwary...

August 8th, 2007, 8:42 am #5

The seller of this badge has now 'improved' his reproduction by removing the DFC that was previously attached to the bottom. The new version is being sold at: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0139265095

Despite the seller telling me it was simply marked 'Sterling', it is clearly marked with English silver hallmarks in three boxes as per the original. I have asked if these are correct 2007 Hallmarks or 'faked' 1942 hallmarks. If the latter it would prove to be illegal and could be an expensive investment.

August 8th, 2007, 8:35 pm #6

I asked the seller about the hallmarks and his reply was as follows:

"...It is marked with the hallmarks from 1942, in addition the word Sterling has been added under the right loop. This is an exact reproduction of the 1942 badge with the exception of the word sterling. Two reasons, first so anyone in the future knows this is a reproduction and second US Law..."

I personally cant see a hallmark 'sterling' anywhere, but if so, its a thing to look out for in future. Might prevent people paying hundreds of pounds or dollars for a badge worth much less.