D Type Mask re-shaping?

D Type Mask re-shaping?

September 23rd, 2009, 7:22 pm #1

Hi Gang,
I have always wondered if it is possible to re-shape the internal card stiffener in a D type mask?
I just bought a mask and it is a bit squashed. I wouldn't want to break it trying to re-shape it.
Has anyone out there managed to re-shape a D mask?
Thanks in advance.
Neil

September 23rd, 2009, 7:58 pm #2

I reshape my <em>repro </em>one all the time; I can never quite find the perfect shape But notice the emphasis on repro, I don't have an original to try it on so I don't know what would happen. It does work though.

September 23rd, 2009, 8:08 pm #3

Hi Gang,
I have always wondered if it is possible to re-shape the internal card stiffener in a D type mask?
I just bought a mask and it is a bit squashed. I wouldn't want to break it trying to re-shape it.
Thanks in advance.
Neil
Neil

I havent myself, and wasnt aware there was card in there. But to quote the manual for the D Mask it says: 'The top rim of the mask is made semi-flexible to allow it to be shaped by the wearer to the nose and face, to form a close fit without undue pressure on the nostrils....

Dont know if that helps, but it seems it was made to be 'bent'!

September 23rd, 2009, 8:19 pm #4

Hi Alex,
If you look on David Farnsworth's site and find the mask he's just sold, you can see the stitching which outlines the card inside the mask. You can see the card gives the mask its shape, which makes a conical shape. The card is quite stiff.
The mask I bought - I wonder if it has been exposed to heat which has distorted the card stiffener.
Cheers
Neil

September 23rd, 2009, 8:38 pm #5

The one in my D Mask feels distinctly like thin metal rather than card, which I would think more likely for shaping, as well as being more robust than card. When you think of moisture that collected with breath at altitude I wouldnt think card would have lasted long. Might just be mine, but I'm certain its not card.

September 23rd, 2009, 8:52 pm #6

Alex,

there is both card and metal in a d mask. The stiffiner that goes over the bridge of the nose and can be shaped to fit the wearers face is metal wire, I believe solder was used for flexabitlity, covered in calico. Around the bottom of the mask a piece of stiff card was used to give the mask its "snout" like shape. I have photos of a mothed mask which shows both elements if any body wants them. Cannot post them here as I am not a full member of the forum.

Jb

September 23rd, 2009, 8:56 pm #7

Yes, metal solder was used. I can also remember reading somewhere that whale bone could be used, but my memory excapes me.

Neil, what exactly is wrong with your mask? as I'm sure that if it isn't too bad it could just be reshaped.

September 23rd, 2009, 8:57 pm #8

@JB: I'd be interested in such pictures

September 23rd, 2009, 10:28 pm #9

Hi Gang,
Thanks in advance.
Neil
Hi Neil,

As it's is indeed made of cardboard, I don't think you'll be able to.
The best you can do, if you absolutely want it re-shaped, is opening up the mask at the oxygen inlet ring and put in a new piece.

Here's a pic I got of an original piece of cardboard. It came from an original mask that literally fell apart. You can clearly see it's cardboard:

Also: here's a pic of the hollow aluminum nose wires of that same mask:

Cheers, Toine

September 23rd, 2009, 10:39 pm #10

Thanks for the input chaps.
Thanks for the Photos Toine! I've always wondered what the parts looked like.
The card is certainly stiff and possibly treated with something. The moisture would have surely affected normal card, so my guess is it would have been treated with a water proofing?
I suppose I'll just have to live with the mask as it is. There's not much wrong, only that the stiffener has been squashed in at the sides so the mask is somewhat slimmer than it should be.
Cheers
Neil