D Oxygen Mask

D Oxygen Mask

February 7th, 2007, 10:49 pm #1

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a D mask. The prices seem a bit steep for repros and they appear simple enough to make. Maybe I'm wrong? Has anyone attempted this? Also does anyone know how to obtain an older pattern wiring loom for the B helmet without spending and arm and leg? Maybe I'm dreaming.

Thanks.

Cheers,
John

February 8th, 2007, 11:51 am #2

Making your own D mask just depends really on three things. Getting the correct components, being good with a needle and preferably having a real one as a pattern.

Chamois is not hard to find, and you can probably find the outer material which is similar to uniform baretha wool but in olive green. But getting the metal ring on the front (if you want to add a real mic) and working out the shape of the inner stiffeners might be hard.

I saw a repro at a fair recently and it was awful. The mask was canvas, the mic solid wood, and the small pipe that comes out of the left side (to take an oxy hose) a bolt!

As for looms, a standard 'external' loom is what you need. I sold one a week or so ago for £30 odd, while you can probably find one from Dave Farnsworth for about £65ish. I know someone who makes repro earphones to fit the B Helmet (not so deep as the ones fitted to C Type helmets) which are exact except they have no innards.

February 9th, 2007, 1:08 am #3

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a D mask. The prices seem a bit steep for repros and they appear simple enough to make. Maybe I'm wrong? Has anyone attempted this? Also does anyone know how to obtain an older pattern wiring loom for the B helmet without spending and arm and leg? Maybe I'm dreaming.

Thanks.

Cheers,
John
Here are some pics of the mask I made. Granted, its not perfect, but looks good in pics from 10 foot away. I made this right before the RAF show at Thunder Over Michigan last year. I have about $25 into it. The material is WWII enlisted WAC skirt. The chamois is from an auto parts store and the mic holder is made from a compass. All the other parts I had laying around. It took some imagination to come up with how to make some of the parts and what to use to make them. I still plan on making it even more detailed.

I hope you all don't laugh at it too much!

http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l167/ ... 0D%20Mask/

February 9th, 2007, 9:01 am #4

Did anyone see the combo set on ebay this last week - a made up B helmet and D mask? I think it went for £110 and wasn't shockingly bad, more an "it'll do" type affair.

Repros might seem steep but they are infinitely more affordable than the real thing - and they're going to be in much better condition because the wool always seems to be mothed. I don't know the origin of my repro, but it was an ebay buy-it-now for half the price of Seftons (no disrespect to him!)

Ultimately to choose to represent the earlier aircrew means financial outlay of some sort to pull it off properly. That's why in the wider sense you don't see converted Swedish tunics or '49 pattern BD in the reenacting hobby anymore.

February 9th, 2007, 11:10 am #5

Hi Richard,

Could be one I made once!
Does it have a circular stamp saying MBAT?

Cheers, Toine

February 9th, 2007, 11:17 am #6

It certainly came from your neck of the woods Toine the only stamp is a crown with A.M. underneath in the left cheek.

I ought to say that your homemade stuff is neat from what I've seen

February 9th, 2007, 11:42 am #7

Hi John, I bought the body of a replica 'D' mask off ebay a while ago fitted with a type 26 microphone. It was supposedly made for the film "Battle of Britain" I now have two original 'D' masks and it is sitting in a box in my cupboard. It isn't exact but would be a good start for a replica as it has the correct material. If interested drop me a line on remlap71@bigpond.net.au, cheers

Jason

November 7th, 2010, 10:28 am #8

hello , jason .. is it still avalible , the repro d mask you talk abouf wich is for sale ?

regards ; mark

November 8th, 2010, 11:07 am #9

Sorry Mark, it went a long time ago. cheers

Jason