D Mask Values

D Mask Values

March 16th, 2007, 3:34 pm #1

I need your help. Can anyone give me an idea what a complete, original, almost pristine "D" type oxygen mask is worth. Also, the matched "B" type helmet in excellent shape. I have an opportunity to trade for this set and I need to know what I am in for.

Thanks

George

March 16th, 2007, 7:02 pm #2

Judging by what I've seen on e-bay ( and this is the only sort of thermometer I can go go by ) D masks are very nearly in 'name your price territory'. They go into four figures easily so I guess around £1,250-£1,500.
A B-type helmet, £450-£500. I stand to be corrected though.

March 16th, 2007, 11:50 pm #3

I'd disagree slightly. Most B Type helmets if in good condition would go for about £270 to £340 depending on dates and labels etc. I just picked up a 1940 dated B Type (Yesterday) for about £180. Needs a bit of TLC with leaher dressing but complete.

As for D Masks if really complete (with oxygen tube and brass connector) you could be looking at about £800 to £1100 depending on the microphone carried. Probably the most common to find is the Type 21, although this came in in October 1940 so too late for the Bttle of Britain. If a Type C Carbon or Type 19 (suitable for BoB) then the upper range.

I saw one at Stoneleigh about 6 weeks ago with Type 21 Mic, but no oxy tube for £600. A mate picked up a very good condition one as above for £450 (A bit of a steal). he sent it to Steve Silburn who tidied up the slight moth, and added an oxy tube and brass connector.

March 17th, 2007, 10:28 pm #4

I live in the Netherlands so the GBP vs Euro doesn't make it cheaper. But I did found some stuff locally and was cheaper then in the UK.
The last year I completed two flying headgear sets:

The first: B-type helmet(1938 labeled), D-mask with 21 mic(no loom) and mkIVb goggles(incl flipscreen and leather spare-case), total price 895 GBP

The second: B-type helmet(1940 labeled), D-mask with 1935 chamois mic (named, no loom) and MKIIa goggles, total price 1170 GBP.

Both helmets in good condition, D-mask have mothing but still ok and goggles not pristine but very nice.

I've got a question though
Is 250GBP a good price for a pair of MKII goggles??
Not the dust-goggles but a real RAF one

I also now a Mae west the early BOB-pattern, spray painted yellow incl bladder, what are they doing at the moment??

March 18th, 2007, 5:22 am #5

Just out of interest compared to GBP, I bought my first 'D' Mask without microphone for $1200AUD (with current exchange rates between AUS & GB about 5 pounds). It came direct from the estate of an Australian DFC winner who unusually wore it in the pacific. It also came with a 1939 dated 'B' helmet.
I bought my second one also from within Australia for $580USD roughly around $800AUD at the time with type 21 but no loom.
Cheers

March 18th, 2007, 12:06 pm #6

I have only seen three pairs of genuine Mk 2 goggles. A friend of mine has a pair (although I don't know what he paid). Another mate bought a very good condition pair for £250 about a year ago while I bought mine at Stoneleigh a few weeks ago for £150.

Mine have a small crack in one lens (inner glass only) but it is right next to the nose so does not really notice. But the £250 paid by my mate I thought was a good price (obviously I thought mine was much better!), but I'd say £250 to £300 upwards.

Trouble is many people think the driver goggles are Mk 2s, but the number of genuine Mk2s is very small.

As for the 36 pattern Mae west, one went at Bosleys about 2 years ago for £1500 although he is known for getting good prices.

March 18th, 2007, 12:13 pm #7

Just out of interest compared to GBP, I bought my first 'D' Mask without microphone for $1200AUD (with current exchange rates between AUS & GB about 5 pounds). It came direct from the estate of an Australian DFC winner who unusually wore it in the pacific. It also came with a 1939 dated 'B' helmet.
I bought my second one also from within Australia for $580USD roughly around $800AUD at the time with type 21 but no loom.
Cheers
Been a while since my last post so created a new account.
Thought it might be a good idea to show and tell.
Here is my first, had it for a about 3 years now, came as a complete set with dust and SAAF Type B- excl goggles. Very light mothing. $600US all up.

Second, formerly owned by Mick P. via another Collector. Complete with RAF Type B with MkIV goggle guide plates, no mothing. Lets say not as cheap as the first...

When they come up these days they can go for +-800quid but rare with a loom...

Last edited by AOC553 on March 20th, 2007, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 18th, 2007, 12:15 pm #8

hmmm, the photo links worked in the preview, sorry bout that. Image posting tip are welcome!

March 18th, 2007, 10:11 pm #9

Been a while since my last post so created a new account.
Thought it might be a good idea to show and tell.
Here is my first, had it for a about 3 years now, came as a complete set with dust and SAAF Type B- excl goggles. Very light mothing. $600US all up.

Second, formerly owned by Mick P. via another Collector. Complete with RAF Type B with MkIV goggle guide plates, no mothing. Lets say not as cheap as the first...

When they come up these days they can go for +-800quid but rare with a loom...
The links do work Andrew, if you copy/paste them to the adressbar!
Nice stuff! 800gbp for a D-mask is still a fair price IMO.

I will try to make another headgear set starting with the MKII goggles and someday a tropical FAA early helmet and a communication mask should be nice!

I don't think prices will drop anymore only go up, but with ebay if you are bidding aainst some-one you can end up paying way too much!

March 18th, 2007, 10:15 pm #10

I have only seen three pairs of genuine Mk 2 goggles. A friend of mine has a pair (although I don't know what he paid). Another mate bought a very good condition pair for £250 about a year ago while I bought mine at Stoneleigh a few weeks ago for £150.

Mine have a small crack in one lens (inner glass only) but it is right next to the nose so does not really notice. But the £250 paid by my mate I thought was a good price (obviously I thought mine was much better!), but I'd say £250 to £300 upwards.

Trouble is many people think the driver goggles are Mk 2s, but the number of genuine Mk2s is very small.

As for the 36 pattern Mae west, one went at Bosleys about 2 years ago for £1500 although he is known for getting good prices.
Thanks Alex,

I guess it's still a fair deal then 250gbp gor a pair of good MKII's.
The price for the mae west is quit high indeed, I now some-one in the Netherlands who has one in his collection, bought it for about 75 euro many years back..