Captain of Aircraft arm band on ebay

Captain of Aircraft arm band on ebay

April 8th, 2007, 2:01 pm #1

Many of you have probably already spotted this rare RCAF arm band, but if not it is certainly worth a look. I have only seen one of these before, listed on ebay a few years ago. I managed to pick it up when the high bidder failed to complete the purchase (after sniping at the last second).

If the price goes through the roof, this is at least a good sample for a pattern if some sgt pilot wants to make one up.

Cheers

George

http://cgi.ebay.com/Royal-Canadian-Air- ... dZViewItem

April 8th, 2007, 3:53 pm #2

Hi

Just a comment, the only other one I have ever seen is in the Yorkshire Air Museum at Elvington Near York which is also the home of the Allied Air Forces Memorial with particular interest to 4 Group (RAF) and 6 Group (RCAF).

I work one day a week at the Museum as a volunteer Steward and we have one of these in our museum uniform display room, before joining the museum I had never seen/heard of these.

Regards

Tony

April 9th, 2007, 1:33 pm #3

Looks interesting what was it used for?

Glenn

April 9th, 2007, 5:14 pm #4

From Luftwaffe VS RAF, Flying Equipment of the Air War, 1939-45, by Mick J. Prodger

APPENDIX: AIRCRAFT COMMANDER
In the Royal Air Force, the rule has always been that the pilot is at all times in command of his aircraft, regardless of rank, seniority or social position. This occasionally caused some friction amongst senior officers seconded as navigators or some other crew position in an aircraft under the command of an NCO pilot. Fortunately it was not a common occurrence, but common enough to warrant the issue of a special “Captain of Aircraft” armlet by Air Ministry order, introduced August, 1944. The armband was constructed of blue serge, with a light blue barathea panel bearing the crown and eagle over a large, red, embroidered “C”, It could be worn such that it covered up the sergeant stripes on the sleeve of the War Service Dress blouse, but signified, clearly, who was the captain of the aircraft.

April 9th, 2007, 6:35 pm #5

The information sheet with the armband at the Yorkshire Air Museum is word for word from the posting by George, we must have got the information from the same publication he refers to.

Regards

Tony

April 10th, 2007, 12:06 am #6

Although these are scarce they were rarely worn. I know of some aircrew where there was a little unrest when captain was other than the pilot, in turn it indicated less than 100% confidence in the pilot.

There is a booklet out about one of the wartime bases (can't recall which one) and there is at least one photo of it being worn.

Despite being scarce there have been at least four on ebay in the last 18 months as I have bid on them!

April 10th, 2007, 2:38 am #7

Do you recall what the arm bands that you bid on went for, or at what value you stopped bidding? I think this one has a way to go yet before it is settled. I paid quite a bit for mine a few years ago, and I remember that there were 16 different bidders. I missed it by a couple of dollars, but the high bidder was a no show so I was able to pick it up.

April 10th, 2007, 9:51 am #8

All those I have seen have gone for about £150.

April 10th, 2007, 2:00 pm #9

I could reproduce the armband at a fraction of that cost!
I guess it all comes down to how bad do you want it or will this be a good investment?

Glenn

April 11th, 2007, 1:14 am #10

That matches what I ended up paying for mine - $280.00 USD. As a short-lived, limited issue item I believe that it does warrant the price.

It would be fairly inexpensive to reproduce for re-enactment purposes with the embroidered C being the biggest challenge, but this could be arranged through a custom embroidery shop that does ball caps, etc. The other challenge would be to match the materials closely enough. I think this would be an interesting item to have in an aircrew reenactment as it would spark questions and peak curiosity.