Brass VRs Question

Brass VRs Question

Sean Roberts
Sean Roberts

May 1st, 2002, 5:03 am #1

In the RAF or RCAF where the Brass VRs worn only by Officers?
Did Flight Sergeants / Sergeants brass ones or did they wear the cloth ones?
I know they faded the brass VRs out eventually but I'm not sure if they were only for Officers.

Thanks
Sean Roberts
Oshawa On

Chris
Chris

May 1st, 2002, 3:11 pm #2

Sean,
The brass VR (and also "A") titles were only worn by officers and Warrant Officers. These came in two sizes -- large: for use on greatcoats and small: for use on service dress. Officer battledress poses a grey area. I've seen officers BD with embroidered VR or A on the epaulettes and also brass VR or A there, as well.

Other Ranks had embroidered versions and were worn on the arms, usually just below the sleeve eagles. This applies to both BD and service dress.

Sean Roberts
Sean Roberts

May 1st, 2002, 3:49 pm #3

Great thanks!!
I'm putting together an F/S impression & had these VRs kicking around.
Just wanted to stay accurate!!

Cheers
Sean

chris stevens
chris stevens

June 12th, 2002, 9:39 pm #4

Sean,
The brass VR (and also "A") titles were only worn by officers and Warrant Officers. These came in two sizes -- large: for use on greatcoats and small: for use on service dress. Officer battledress poses a grey area. I've seen officers BD with embroidered VR or A on the epaulettes and also brass VR or A there, as well.

Other Ranks had embroidered versions and were worn on the arms, usually just below the sleeve eagles. This applies to both BD and service dress.
hello from across the pond,i`ve got an officer`s
no1 uniform dated 1942 with the VR colar tags these
are 3/8 inch high the war service dress of the same
officer that i`ve got(although post war 51 dated) has
the VR tags 1/2 inch high on the shoulder epauletts
hope this helps Chris

April 17th, 2009, 4:50 am #5

I was digging through the archives and came across this thread on the VR brass.

The other posts of this thread mention 3/8 and 1/2 inch height sizes.

Of course, I have a pair that are 7/16.

Are these appropriate for service dress lapels?

They each have two posts coming off of the back that look like shortened cotter pins that are soldered to the back of left vertical of the V and the right side of the R. Through these posts passes a brass cotter pin style retainer much like but smaller than the big one that is used to hold the OR wedge cap emplem in place.

I would think that using such retainment would mangle the label so maybe these are for the great coat?

theotherChris

April 17th, 2009, 10:33 am #6

Chris

Those are standard brass VR badges 'for the jacket' (according to regulations) which means the Service Dress jacket collar, and also the Battledress. Although the larger size was intended for greatcoat shoulders only, being worn in the same position they were also worn on the battledress shoulder, as regs were not initially specific about that uniform.

The lug and split pin fixing is normal, and far more preferable to the bend over prongs which tend to snap easily if you attempt to remove them two or three times for cleaning!

April 18th, 2009, 4:20 am #7

Big militaria show tomarrow here in home town. Not as big as what you chaps have but you never know what might be had.

April 20th, 2009, 5:07 pm #8

Has anybody purchased the VR and A collar devices from Sabre Sales? ARe they any good? Size and material ?

Cheers

April 20th, 2009, 6:51 pm #9

From the front they look good, and as a result I flagged them up here some time ago. But ive not seen what the fixings are like, or bought any myself.

April 20th, 2009, 8:21 pm #10

I got a pair of A's. They have clutchback fittings so can easily be removed for cleaning.