Braided Hose Repro!

Braided Hose Repro!

August 11th, 2009, 4:32 pm #1

Hello Forum members:
I am planning a reproduction braided Oxygen Hose for the D-mask.
It will be of course black with a white fleck.
The hose will be beige latex rubber at half inch outside diameter with quarter inch inside diameter.
We have located a machine that can create the braid.
I just need a pattern to take measurements.
Does anyone out there have a piece of braided hose that I can borrow?
I will look after the sample like it was my own and of course return it promptly.
I do have photos of a braided hose, but I could really do with an actual piece to be able to get the weave perfect.
I hope someone can help.
Cheers
Neil B.

August 11th, 2009, 4:48 pm #2

Neil thats great news. Steve Silburn is the only person I know who can regularly supply such hose but I have always thought is very slightly too thick, something I think Steve himself now concedes.

But you say your repro will '...of course be black with a white fleck...', but I have to ask, why of course? There were several colours, the most usual I've seen on original masks (and what I wanted from Steve except he had run out when adding a hose to my genuine D Mask) being yellow fleck on black. Not knocking it at all I hasten to add!

I have a small piece of original hose but its black rubber, coming from a brass connector. However im not sure if there is any braiding left, I'll have to check (I replaced it with new hose when adding a female bayonet fitting to the other end as an adapter piece). if its any use I have some photos of originals at the Bob and RAF Museum's?

August 11th, 2009, 5:37 pm #3

Hi Neil,
Where are you based? I have a nearly full length hose that I intend to add to a mask. I might be willing to let you borrow it for your project. Though I would not like to send it out of the country. It is a biege rubber hose with a black and dark green fleck and I beleive it to be original it is certanly made out of natural rubber and has some age to it as it has "welded" itself to the brass 6D/101 conector.

August 11th, 2009, 5:43 pm #4

Hello Forum members:
I am planning a reproduction braided Oxygen Hose for the D-mask.
It will be of course black with a white fleck.
The hose will be beige latex rubber at half inch outside diameter with quarter inch inside diameter.
We have located a machine that can create the braid.
I just need a pattern to take measurements.
Does anyone out there have a piece of braided hose that I can borrow?
I will look after the sample like it was my own and of course return it promptly.
I do have photos of a braided hose, but I could really do with an actual piece to be able to get the weave perfect.
I hope someone can help.
Cheers
Neil B.
Hi Neil,

Wow, you're on a repro spree!! Excellent idea though.
I have a Steve Silburn 'original'. I think it's excellent, though it seems the braiding is 'rotated' as it were. If the direction of the thread on an original is along the length of the tube, Steve's is 90 degrees off. I don't have an original not the repro at hand, so I hope this rings a bell.

I'd be interested in 2 of your hoses, whatever the colour fleck you decide on. Steve's had yellow flecks as far as I know, so white wouldn't be a bad idea!

Would you be helped by a good pic with a measure tape next to it? Not that I have an original but it would maybe be easier than having an original sent?

Cheers, Toine

August 11th, 2009, 9:04 pm #5

Right lads:
If the consensus is yellow fleck then that's what it will be.
JB, I'm in the Seattle area.
I have to say I'd worry about an original hose being shipped overseas. If you are in the UK, my parents will be visiting me in October so you could perhaps post the hose to them in Herts. Then they can bring it back after a month's stay.
I am hoping I can find some connectors to add to the repro. But I suppose at least we'll have a hose. I just have to work out the braiding.
Toine,
the braid does go in a spiral when it is woven. That's why you see the fleck twisting. I think that's what you are refering to, right?
As for a photo - yes, just in case I cannot obtain the original then a good photo with a measure will help.
Thanks in advance.
Neil

August 11th, 2009, 10:09 pm #6

Gents,
If the hose braid is similar to bungees/shock cords used on aircraft, you'll find the various colours used are a means to determine what year they were made. Apologies if we already discussed this. I couldn't find anything in a site search.

August 12th, 2009, 5:03 pm #7

Gents,
The remake braided hose is one step closer to reality!
Now I need to know the length of a standard hose.
Looking at many wartime photos the hose looks about 4 to 5 feet long.
What would be your choice?
Please let me know.
Thanks
Neil

August 12th, 2009, 9:28 pm #8

If memory serves, mine is 6ft long. Im sure thats what Steve S put on my D Mask. Perhaps Mick P could add a note, or Steve himself? I'll measure mine.

August 12th, 2009, 10:10 pm #9

Thanks Alex,
Looking at Wartime photos and depending on how tall a person was, the oxygen hose appears to be from 4 feet to 5 feet. I'm sure it wasn't so long it dragged on the ground.
Cheers
Neil

August 12th, 2009, 11:02 pm #10

In thinking about ones at the RAF Museum, they do appear to be more knee length, but I'll measure mine. Saying that its a repro hose fitted to a genuine mask so its not an indication of true length, although Im sure Steve S must have taken that from an original mask. I guess you need an original mask/hose to be sure?