Army uniforms, Royal Flying Corps

Army uniforms, Royal Flying Corps

April 7th, 2007, 5:46 pm #1

Im putting together a RFC impression and im after officers army service dress.
Does anyone make repros of these? Is modern Army service dress suitable?

Maybe someone on the forum has some experience with RFC reenacting and can help.

Im more keen on a tunic and trousers look.

April 8th, 2007, 7:54 am #2

Here is one supplier of the officer's tunic, look at item RB7011 http://www.sutlers.co.uk/acatalog/WORLD_WAR_1.html though it is incredibly expensive. Pegasus Militaria here in England make a very nice maternity tunic too.

I'd recommend getting the Osprey Men-at-arms book 341 which covers what you will need to know.

April 8th, 2007, 11:51 pm #3

The best way i've found is to get a copy of as many different views of the uniform as possible - ebay is great for saving images from!!
The cheaper alternative is to get an late 30's/very early 40's officers SD uniform in your size, and have some alterations made to it. The 1stww officers SD jacket had the ticket pocket, and the belt was sen onto the jacket as part of it - just two small differences.
a mate of mine is doing an RFC officer impression using the SD uniform. if you pm me, i will email you his addy - he's a decent chap, and should be able to help in sourcing kit, etc!

tim

April 9th, 2007, 6:56 pm #4

Hello, here some pics of mine, and friends uniforms bought from Sanjay Suris Replicaters. Mine is made up representing a Flight Sub-Lieutenent of the Royal Naval Aier Service (pictures were taken soon after I recieved it, rank braid is now attached). I bought the Tunic and breeches from replicators and I really couldnt be happier. It fit like a glove, and it was constructed well. Everything else like the boots, sam browne, hat, etc I procured elsewhere. Friends of mine, also seen in the next two pictures bought uniforms from replicaters as well and have nothing but good things to say about what they got.

Shameless plug, if you've been watching the CBC "The Great War" mini-series theres a good chance you'll see me in my uniform in part 2, airing monday night at 8, eastern time.

The British hero standing by his mount!
[/IMG]

The unfortunate Brit, captured by the Red Baron himself!
[/IMG]

Group shot
[/IMG]

April 17th, 2007, 12:42 pm #5

Hi, I've been thinking about putting together an RNAS uniform myself, but was wondering how rank insignia was displayed? I've read that it was a red version of the regular RN braid and around the sleeves, with the eagle above, but as this is only one source I'd like some confirmation!

Steve Cobden

April 17th, 2007, 4:26 pm #6

Here is a link to one online page that shows the rank structure and insignia. Cheers.

http://www.rafweb.org/ranks5.htm

April 17th, 2007, 10:02 pm #7

Aye, I've seen that - just wondering about insignia on khaki uniforms - red or gold; it's hard to tell from photographs...

April 18th, 2007, 12:20 am #8

All info I've seen indicates either normal gold naval rank braid on khaki uniforms, or a dark green/khaki rank braid, or both. My uniform uses gold rank braid, aged so it doesnt stand out too severely from the khaki fabric.

April 18th, 2007, 6:11 am #9

Hi gang!
There is an excellent book out by Osprey publications, and is the men at arms series. It is book 341 which is the British air forces 1914 to 1918 (1).
On page 36, there is a paragraph on the RNAS overseas SD for officers, and states that 'rank was indicated on the cuffs in khaki lace with a woven texture to make it more visible'. On page 24, there is a photie of flight sub-lieutenat willie davenport which shows off his SD uniform.
Places to try and get info are the RAF museum at Hendon, the Museum of Army flying at Middle Wallop, and the Fleet Air Arm museum too.

Hope this helps!

tim

April 18th, 2007, 5:58 pm #10

Below are a few more links related to the RNAS rank structure and insignia, which may be of interest.

http://naval-reference.net/uniforms/rn_ ... cer_1.html

http://www.britairforce.com/rnas_1.htm

Cheers,

Hylton