Are lenses in Mk.8 goggles compatible with Mk.7 goggles??

Are lenses in Mk.8 goggles compatible with Mk.7 goggles??

May 2nd, 2012, 2:37 pm #1

Simple question:

Are Mk.8-type lenses compatible with Mk.7 goggles (and fit properly)??

Furthermore, were the lenses used in Mk.8 goggles the common standard at the time used throughout the Mk.4 and Mk.7 goggles??

Curious because my Mk.VII goggles have terrible lenses and I want to replace them badly - hard to look at on a good helmet and O2 mask!

Thanks,
D.C->

May 2nd, 2012, 3:06 pm #2

the short answer is yes MkVIII goggle lenses will fit the MkVII goggle frames.

However the two type are different, the diffrences are subtle but they ARE different! You won't be able to tell though when on display.
If your clouded lenses are the proper MkVII type keep them so that if you ever want to sell the goggles you can put them back in, as purist collectors will prefer them.

As for MkIVa and b lenses these, whilst they look the same, are different to the VII and VIII types and are not interchangable as they have a lighter framed lens.

MkIV lenses hand no frame to them and just slipped into the goggle frames.

Hope this helps. If I can find my camera I will take a photo of the different types for you.

Jb

May 2nd, 2012, 3:57 pm #3

Top shows a mark 8 lens, blue/grey coloured frame with small "tucks" in the frame at the bend

bottom shows a proper mark 7 lens, more of a royal blue frame with no "tuck" on the bend

top shows a mark 4 lens in tow pieces no frame

Bottom shows a lens from a mark 4b lightwieght originally black frame with location lug

this shows the back of the mark 4b lens showing it to be compleatly different to the later type lenses.

Jb

May 2nd, 2012, 11:38 pm #4

Very Interesting!

Truth is, I have been lucky and have never had to replace any lenses.
Thus, I figured I would ask first before pulling apart goggles potentially causing damage.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.

Cheers!
D.C->