Air Gunners Log Book

Air Gunners Log Book

February 1st, 2010, 9:49 pm #1

Hi,
Just found your forum and wanted to ask for some advice - my wifes step father has recently given her a RAF Air Gunners log book which belonged to his father 535815 F/SGT J HALLAM DFM who served in the RAF between 1938 - 1947 with 7(B)Sqdn - 44(B)Sqdn - 207(B)Sqdn - 1 AAS and 10 AGS most of his 57 operational flights were in Hampdens and Manchesters.My wife is thinking of placing the book in an auction and was wondering what sort of reserve she should put on it?

February 1st, 2010, 10:30 pm #2

I guess my first question is why not keep the log within the family, rather than selling it? Compared to uniforms, etc, they take up very little space.

Value is tough and is largely dependent upon demand at-the-moment, theatre of operations; whether the DFM-earning flight is inclusive in the log; aircraft type; squadron history, etc.

February 2nd, 2010, 1:42 am #3

Hi,
Just found your forum and wanted to ask for some advice - my wifes step father has recently given her a RAF Air Gunners log book which belonged to his father 535815 F/SGT J HALLAM DFM who served in the RAF between 1938 - 1947 with 7(B)Sqdn - 44(B)Sqdn - 207(B)Sqdn - 1 AAS and 10 AGS most of his 57 operational flights were in Hampdens and Manchesters.My wife is thinking of placing the book in an auction and was wondering what sort of reserve she should put on it?
Hello Andy.

I'm not going to take any moral high ground on whether you should or shouldn't sell it....it's a personal thing....if people didn't sell their family heirlooms, most of us wouldn't have a hobby, would we? And it also gives us an opportunty to cherish things that might otherwise gather dust

I have quite a few log books in my collection....as I love them.

Each one tells its own story and each one is of value.....its like anything really...

I have one log that belonged to a canadian Navigator killed in a Whitley bomber while training....he flew no operations and so consequently, his log was of less value than someone that flew a tour. He was still a very brave young man.....
I paid about a hundred U.S. Dollars for that.

I have another log of a very young Englishman (18) that flew as an Engineer on lancasters...he was well into his tour when he was shot down by a German night fighter...it cost me a little over 200 pounds stirling.

Logs where the owner was awarded a gallantry medal fetch higher prices...but it all depends on why he was awarded a medal....a single conspicuous act or just consistent devotion to duty....this is a funny business, collecting....

I'd start at about 350-400 stirling....but that's just me.....I'd happily pay you that...but someone else might pay you a lot more on the day.....especially if you added his DFM with it.....well, you'd be looking at approximately 2 grand......

Hope this helps...??

February 2nd, 2010, 7:41 pm #4

Hi,
Hello

I'm interested in this one: I wrote a book covering 207 Squadron during the latter part of the Manchester era, and I was aware of F/Sgt Hallam.

Would you drop me an email (vince.holyoakattalktalk.net) please?

February 2nd, 2010, 9:35 pm #5

It might be an idea, before you sell, to either photocopy or scan the log book so that the information contained whithin is still accessable to the family should a member wish to research into him