A Unique Impression? 1920s CAF

A Unique Impression? 1920s CAF

May 21st, 2006, 2:35 am #1

I venture to offer what I believe is the only impression being done of the Canadian Air Force (1920-24). Here is F/L Art "Dekko" Deco (as portrayed by Bob Campbell):

A closer look:

(ears cocked for the distinctive sound of the Avro 504K.)

Photo taken at Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site's Military Encampment, May 20th, 2006. (We would welcome other RCAF/RAF types, either BCATP commemoration, or RAF 32 OTU types, or those brave souls who drove Lysanders for the coast arty AA guns to pot at!)

May 21st, 2006, 10:08 am #2

Although an earlier period that that which I collect, its a lovely set up. I assume the insignia is genuine, the uniform too?

May 21st, 2006, 12:47 pm #3

I'll let Bob give the whole story, but to avoid being mugged by unscrupulous collectors, the insignia is repro.

May 21st, 2006, 3:52 pm #4

Looks good and an original idea! It would be quite easy to reproduce the look here in the U.K.
An old style PC`s Police tunic with four pockets, epaulets and a belt (still current with senior officers) and a modern issue cap.
All you would need to do is source the buttons and correct insignia.
Steve

May 25th, 2006, 11:03 pm #5

The event and clean-up is over! So, here's the story:

A couple of people correctly guessed that the uniform is an original Essex Police uniform. The only thing I had to change is the cuffs- the pointed cuffs were missing.

The insignia is a mix of original and reproduction. The buttons are all original, and the reproduction wings and collars were done in the mid '70s I believe. They are almost as hard to come by as originals, but no where close to equal in terms of cost.

The hat is a '50s issue US Petty Officer's peak cap with the reproduction CAF badge.

Total cost= less than $200 Canadian.

The really great thing is that a gentleman and his son visited my bell-tent (where I had my WWII RCAF display). The gentleman was RCAF ground crew and the display brought back some great memories. The really eerie thing is that the former RCAF member informed me of his father's military career, which included serving with an overseas Canadian artillery battery in WWI, his subsequent enrolment in the RFC, then post-war CAF. His entire collection of uniforms are in a museum and I based my uniform on the pictures I found on the museum's website. Sadly, I can't find the address right now. The RFC tunic with the embroidered "O" brevet is especially beautiful.

It's a small world, meeting the son of a CAF officer whose father's collection I based my reproduction on. The museum received the collection a number of years ago and father and son both enjoyed seeing me in the kit.

Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse, National Historic Sites of Canada
Parks Canada