1932 Pattern Oddity???

1932 Pattern Oddity???

January 23rd, 2010, 12:21 am #1

January 23rd, 2010, 8:30 am #2

Unfortunately its something I doubt we'll get a definitive answer too. But if genuine, perhaps some sort of intermediate vest, '32 pattern, but combining a few new things that became standard on the '41? Interesting...

January 23rd, 2010, 12:55 pm #3

Just never finished?

The colour, the lobes, the bladder - although that could've been added at any time during it's life (1/45 an 1950 dated btw) - it all makes me think it's a 41 pattern rather than a 32 pattern.

What exactly it is I'm obviously not sure either. I would guess it's a 41 pattern shell, just never adorned with the straps, the dye marker provision, the light pouch etc.

Cheers, Toine

January 23rd, 2010, 2:38 pm #4

Or a 41 altered to resemble a 32 for filming, perhaps?

January 23rd, 2010, 2:55 pm #5

Interestingly the seller says that it may have come from Canada. The Dominion Rubber Co 32 patt mae wests made there were in yellow fabric. I wonder if it is an oddity to come out of that factory. Maybe a pre production test piece that got picked up and used in action.

January 23rd, 2010, 4:45 pm #6

Hi Everyone

Its my Mae West - and you are right, it is very weird..I have both the 1932 Pattern and 1941 Pattern versions and this appears to be something in between the two...

The old chap that gave me them (I have 2)mentioned that he had served in the RAF as a fitter and that he picked these up in his travels whilst stationed in the middle east and Canada...They were stuffed in a kit bag with a ground sheet, all of which he was going to throw out.

I didn't get a chance to ask him any details about his service as I was up to my neck with the public asking questions - this chap literally just appeared, complimented me on my lecture, dropped the kit bag off and went...

Wish that I had managed to talk to him properly now...

Nigel Carver

January 23rd, 2010, 5:12 pm #7

Nigel, it is very interesting. I don't, though, think that it's a 32 pattern for reasons the others have stated. If the stole is original to this vest then that would confirm my beliefs. It looks like a tropical version of the 41 pattern vest; maybe a canadian one?

BTW Nigel, can you check your PM's at the ww2 reenacting forum please

Cheers, Ben

January 23rd, 2010, 5:29 pm #8

Hi mate

Agree with you - am a bit mistified by it to be honest. Yep, will check the PMs - as soon as I can log on, had a few issues logging in on that site...:-(

Kind regards
Nigel

January 23rd, 2010, 5:38 pm #9

Nigel, it is very interesting. I don't, though, think that it's a 32 pattern for reasons the others have stated. If the stole is original to this vest then that would confirm my beliefs. It looks like a tropical version of the 41 pattern vest; maybe a canadian one?

BTW Nigel, can you check your PM's at the ww2 reenacting forum please

Cheers, Ben
Managed to login on the other forum - check your PM mate!

January 23rd, 2010, 5:48 pm #10

Yes, this is a bit of a confusing one - having compared this Mae West to my 1941 Pattern original and the 1932 Pattern that I have, I can state that its design is identical to the 1932 Pattern in cut/design and the material itself...and different to the 1941 version.

However, the colour is the same as the 1941 Pattern and the lobe design at the bottom is the same...

It is very odd to say the least - I labelled it up as a 1932 Pattern because that is what it is actually closest to in design, material and fit.

The only thing that I can think off, is that its a transitional piece between the two - although somebody has suggested that it may be a Fleet Air Arm Mae West (didn't know they had different ones!).

Apparently there was an article by Dave Farnsworth on these Mae Wests and the person who read the article suggested that this Mae West fitted that description and picture...

I would be deeply indebted to anybody who has the article and can produce it so that I could see it..

Nigel