In search of the "Belgic"

General discussion forum
Neibelungen
Forum Rifleman
Neibelungen
Forum Rifleman

July 17th, 2015, 3:41 pm #291

interesting

O/R's 1806 cap (stovepipe) in the Herefordshire Museum Collection attributed to  Hebdin & Co

http://news.herefordshire.gov.uk/museum ... spx?ID=708

Eddie
Forum Lieutenant
Eddie
Forum Lieutenant

July 17th, 2015, 3:51 pm #292

Great stuff! Its nice when things slot into place. Never seen that Stovepipe before - would be better if there were views underneath though.
"Far the calling bugles hollo,
High the screaming Fife replies,
Gay the files of scarlet follow:
Woman bore me, I will rise"

Gregger
Forum Private
Gregger
Forum Private

July 17th, 2015, 8:42 pm #293

You guy are good! Any guidance on how that cockade is attached?

John Waller
Forum Chosenman
John Waller
Forum Chosenman

July 25th, 2015, 8:57 am #294

Have we seen this one?

Sales bumf

Completely Genuine Napoleonic era Belgic Shako to the 43rd Regiment of Foot
This item comes with good provenance.

It was purchased in 1992 from the Roy Maitland Collection which came up for sale after his death.
He owned the shop in Piccadilly named Tradition. The hat was purchased from his personal collection with other items.
It is in fine condition with the peak of the cap being the only part that shows some sign of wear as it is slightly buckled. The label inside the hat states "Hawkes, Moseley & Co - Cap Makers to their Majesties His Royal Highness, The Prince of Wales & Royal Family - Helmet & Accoutment makers, Hatters, 22 Piccadilly, London, 12 Grafton Street, Dublin"
The original button, rosette and braid are attached

Neibelungen
Forum Rifleman
Neibelungen
Forum Rifleman

July 25th, 2015, 4:21 pm #295

Well  the  only genuine thing  on that one  is the button. And i'm pretty certain that's a Victorian one.

John Waller
Forum Chosenman
John Waller
Forum Chosenman

July 26th, 2015, 12:03 pm #296

One thing I have learnt from the photos of the first of the Celle caps shown earlier in this thread is the spacing of the stitching attaching the peak. You can clearly see the raised 'tunnels' in the photos. In my reconstructions I was having problems with getting a smooth and unwrinkled sweatband. The Celle cap has stitch spacing around twice what I have been using. So today I tried a wider spacing on a stovepipe cap et voila - no wrinkles!:-) . You live and learn, I just wish I had learned this a couple of dozen caps ago. Quicker, easier and a better result.

Gregger
Forum Private
Gregger
Forum Private

July 29th, 2015, 2:33 pm #297

Thanks to Althea Mackenzie of the Hereforshire museum, here is the inside of that 1806 shako.

Gregger
Forum Private
Gregger
Forum Private

July 29th, 2015, 7:54 pm #298

Believe it or not, they have a second 1806-12 shako. Here is its label, a slight variation.

Eddie
Forum Lieutenant
Eddie
Forum Lieutenant

December 22nd, 2015, 9:14 am #299

Just been looking at a photocopy I took at the National Archives.

Its the original manuscript Horseguards  Circular letter of 18th March 1812 which introduced the new cap. In the margin of such letters is the distribution list of units to which it applies.  It merely states Regiments of Infantry and Militia.  Once again there is nothing to suggest an exemption for Light Infantry and Rifles.

Eddie
Forum Lieutenant
Eddie
Forum Lieutenant

December 29th, 2015, 12:08 pm #300

New image to me Dutch artist Langendijk - from a series dated 1812 - 1816.  Courtesy of Marc Schaftenaar.

At first glance the cap looks like a Stovepipe by the placing of the plume and the lack of cords - but it clearly has a raised false front.

Perhaps some Light Infantry may have put the plume and cockade centrally up on  the front and not bothered with cords - thus giving rise to the interpretation that they retained the Stove pipe??    

As an aside  -does anyone know  what is the oldest assertion in print( or otherwise)  that the Light Infantry and Rifles did NOT adopt the new cap?

I can only find the claim by C P Lawson in his History of the British Army vol 5 - first published  1967  - as Ben I think has mentioned before.
  JASHR  - Vol XV no 60 Winter 1936 carried an article on 'The British Infantry Shako' by Alex CATLEY - which made no mention of such an exclusion for LI and Rifles.