My Knapsack

General discussion forum
Paul Durrant
Site Admin

December 12th, 2017, 6:33 am #81

We've also got some little chain of sorts hanging down on his left...
Something to do with picker & brush p'haps?

Ben Townsend
Forum General
Ben Townsend
Forum General

December 12th, 2017, 6:43 am #82

For me, the haversack strap is neatly over the cross-belt. The whisk and picker chain seems to begin behind the cross-belt plate, and be wrapped around the cross belt before emerging lower down. I think the splashes of yellow are an attempt to indicate that it is a brass chain.
Here is a third sketch  of the subject from the series,
1876,0708.2376 Samuel Drummond.jpg

Rifleman LaLa
I'm part of the problem

Paul Durrant
Site Admin

December 12th, 2017, 7:02 am #83

The cheeky bugger also has his dicky out! (first two pix)

Eddie
Forum Lieutenant
Eddie
Forum Lieutenant

December 13th, 2017, 10:01 am #84

Great Ben  - nice finds - there seems to be two small buttons at  the base of the pack  and a larger one on the bottom of the sling ???

"Far the calling bugles hollo,
High the screaming Fife replies,
Gay the files of scarlet follow:
Woman bore me, I will rise"

Eddie
Forum Lieutenant
Eddie
Forum Lieutenant

December 13th, 2017, 10:04 am #85

Also just found this in James' Military Dictionary 1810 edition under 'Knapsacks'  " Soldiers in the British Service are put under stoppages for the payment of their knapsacks, which after six years become their property".  Not sure if this has already been mentioned somewhere here.
"Far the calling bugles hollo,
High the screaming Fife replies,
Gay the files of scarlet follow:
Woman bore me, I will rise"

StoneDog
Forum Recruit
StoneDog
Forum Recruit

December 13th, 2017, 7:44 pm #86

Eddie wrote: Also just found this in James' Military Dictionary 1810 edition under 'Knapsacks'  " Soldiers in the British Service are put under stoppages for the payment of their knapsacks, which after six years become their property".  Not sure if this has already been mentioned somewhere here.
Did somebody mention the cost of each knapsack ?
If not, does anyone know how much?

Its the kind of question I keep getting asked..... Perhaps we have more Accountants around here ;-)

I thought using a chain rather then buff straps for the Brush&Picker was a much later thing for those of us in red?
I will agree that it seems to be fixed to the breastplate (as were the straps) rather then looped over a button as our Blue clad cousins do

Paul Durrant
Site Admin

April 17th, 2018, 9:40 pm #87

StoneDog wrote:
Eddie wrote: Also just found this in James' Military Dictionary 1810 edition under 'Knapsacks'  " Soldiers in the British Service are put under stoppages for the payment of their knapsacks, which after six years become their property".  Not sure if this has already been mentioned somewhere here.
Did somebody mention the cost of each knapsack ?
If not, does anyone know how much?

Its the kind of question I keep getting asked..... Perhaps we have more Accountants around here ;-)

I thought using a chain rather then buff straps for the Brush&Picker was a much later thing for those of us in red?
I will agree that it seems to be fixed to the breastplate (as were the straps) rather then looped over a button as our Blue clad cousins do
Commissariat Return for the period 1st October to 31st December 1811:

Contract by William Jackman for 50,000 knapsacks at 6s/ 6 & 3/4d each, half delivered in six weeks, remaining half in eleven weeks.

WO58/44 p.381

StoneDog
Forum Recruit
StoneDog
Forum Recruit

April 18th, 2018, 8:54 pm #88

Great to know, thanks for that