Brush and Prick (Pick)

General discussion forum
Greg Renault
Forum Rifleman
Greg Renault
Forum Rifleman

02 Aug 2016, 18:07 #11

The discussion in this thread--particularly the Hamilton-Smith and Genty images, the 56th SO, and the lack of alternative images--strongly suggest to me that buff leather straps were the norm (at least among line units).  The group I belong to wears the red rag, and accordingly has decided to move from chain to leather attachment for the brush and pricker.  Pic of my new one below.

Greg Renault
A soldier should be as attached to, and careful of, his musket, as his mistress. (G.O. 31st December 1788, Bombay Army)

Ben Townsend
Forum General
Ben Townsend
Forum General

03 Aug 2016, 08:10 #12

Contrary to popular belief, necessaries were regulated and supposed to follow pattern. As such, we ought to aim for greater uniformity in this item in the 2/95th. This is not so imperative for items like the turnscrew which are less on display, but the pick and wisk are very much so, and as such ought to be uniform. Like everything in or on you, you should consult MC before replacing or changing to avoid purchase mistakes!

Either we all have the same chain version, or the same buff version. Lets hear any more evidence to hand, before deciding.

Rifleman LaLa
I'm part of the problem

havercakelad
Forum Chosenman
havercakelad
Forum Chosenman

07 Jul 2017, 20:12 #13

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/a ... tpayne.htm
This self portrait seems to show a brass chain used for the brush and prick.