Blanket

General discussion forum
havercakelad
Forum Chosenman
havercakelad
Forum Chosenman

March 3rd, 2014, 7:13 pm #31

Following from Bentinck of the 23rd aluding to what appears a strange order..but note stowage of blankets in pack.

"We had orders on the previous night [17th June] not to put out our blankets but one or two or three others pulled them out against orders and put them over to keep the rain off. In the morning when the rain gave over we rung them out as well as we could. We put them in our knapsacks again before any of the Officers saw us."

The Very Thing: The Memoirs of Drummer Richard Bentinck.
Last edited by havercakelad on March 4th, 2014, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Waller
Forum Chosenman
John Waller
Forum Chosenman

March 4th, 2014, 9:22 am #32

havercakelad:11748 wrote:Following from Bentinck of the 23rd aluding to what appears a strange order..but note stowage of greatcoats in pack.

"We had orders on the previous night [17th June] not to put out our blankets but one or two or three others pulled them out against orders and put them over to keep the rain off. In the morning when the rain gave over we rung them out as well as we could. We put them in our knapsacks again before any of the Officers saw us."

The Very Thing: The Memoirs of Drummer Richard Bentinck.
Greatcoats?

havercakelad
Forum Chosenman
havercakelad
Forum Chosenman

March 4th, 2014, 4:34 pm #33

Whoops! Ammended last post.

4th division had the following miscellaneous Standing order in 1813;

"2: It is the desire of the major general commanding that the men's blankets should be carried inside of their packs in preference to their greatcoats."

An Eloquent Soldier: the Peninsular war Journals of Lieutenant Charles Crowe of the Iniskillings. 1812-1814
Ed Gareth Glover

Der Warenfuhrer
Forum Recruit
Der Warenfuhrer
Forum Recruit

September 15th, 2015, 12:35 am #34

Apologies if I'm covering old ground again here (I've not read the whole chain exhaustively), but I have a couple of comments on the preceding discussion:

The standard denomination of quantity in the 18th & early 19th C English Blanket industry in the was 'the pair'. So orders are often placed for so many pairs, and weights, production quantities etc are usually defined per pair. The pair is two blankets end to end, which were usually cut for sale to the final customer. So the weight of '8 Ib 6oz per pair' equates to 4 Ib 3oz each, which is typical mid range of weights quoted for various period sources.

Commercial (i.e non military contract) English blankets were manufactured in various widths (denominated in 'Quarters', being quarters of a yard), up to 12 quarters (9 feet or 108") wide by 126" (10 1/2') long. Blanket making was a specific trade, highly regulated by the guilds, and the makers were quite capable of making a blanket that width in one piece.

References to blankets formed from two pieces being seamed up the centre are generally from foreign sources where access to specially made European (usually English, but I'm sure the French could do it too) blankets was restricted.
Last edited by Der Warenfuhrer on September 15th, 2015, 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Der Warenfuhrer
Forum Recruit
Der Warenfuhrer
Forum Recruit

September 15th, 2015, 12:45 am #35

Blankets were a Camp Equipage whereas Greatcoats were issued as part of the soldiers clothing, so they were issued and accounted for by different systems. Consequently the issue of one would not effect the issue of the other. Camp equipage (Canteen, Haversack, Blanket, Mess tins and tentage) was generally only issued when the troops deployed on operations abroad; so those arriving in the Peninsular via Lisbon had them issued from the depot at Belem before starting the march up country.

Der Warenfuhrer
Forum Recruit
Der Warenfuhrer
Forum Recruit

September 15th, 2015, 12:55 am #36

What is confusing is the Trotter reference to an '8 1/4' blanket which is only 66" wide... an 8/4 blanket would be 72" wide using contemporary trade practice, and that indeed is the standard size of an Army blanket.

I have come across various references to 'Camp' and 'Barrack' blankets, but those that quote sizes quote the same ones suggesting that they were the same.

Virtually all references to do with control and issue of stores (i.e those not dealing with procurement or contracts) simply refer to 'blankets', suggesting that the Ordnance only had one type in store. Where they are listed as 'Blankets No 1' and 'Blankets No 2' I believe they are different qualities, in that sometimes the inspectors would accept items not entirely up to the required standard at a discount; these would be kept separately and issued where expedient; to foreign corps, in hot climates, or wherever it was though to be acceptable.

smeggers
Forum Recruit
smeggers
Forum Recruit

November 5th, 2015, 1:35 pm #37

Hi All, a newbee to the forum here :)

I've been reading the whole blanket topic with interest as I currently cover almost a millennia of reenactment periods. One of the most recent has been a historical vignette for the Highland Military Tattoo where the group portrayed the 92nd and the 79th at Waterloo. We do like to to do things right and the group director made all the uniforms for both regiments as men from the light companies. Anyhoo, we normally do Scottish Wars of Independence and the Jacobite rebellion (both sides :)). We try our best to get the LH displays correct as possible so my question to the Hive mind is this: in regards to blankets and that it is nigh on impossible to get period blankets at an affordable level, would it be possible to use dyed lines (yes I know they should be different yarn colours through the weave) on modern white army blankets of the correct sizing and obviously stenciling on the ordnance board Arrow?

J-P

John Waller
Forum Chosenman
John Waller
Forum Chosenman

November 6th, 2015, 2:04 pm #38

smeggers:13386 wrote:Hi All, a newbee to the forum here :)

I've been reading the whole blanket topic with interest as I currently cover almost a millennia of reenactment periods. One of the most recent has been a historical vignette for the Highland Military Tattoo where the group portrayed the 92nd and the 79th at Waterloo. We do like to to do things right and the group director made all the uniforms for both regiments as men from the light companies. Anyhoo, we normally do Scottish Wars of Independence and the Jacobite rebellion (both sides :)). We try our best to get the LH displays correct as possible so my question to the Hive mind is this: in regards to blankets and that it is nigh on impossible to get period blankets at an affordable level, would it be possible to use dyed lines (yes I know they should be different yarn colours through the weave) on modern white army blankets of the correct sizing and obviously stenciling on the ordnance board Arrow?

J-P
It would probably be possible if you were very careful to prevent your dye or paint from bleeding into the fabric but why bother? The blanket is usually stowed on or in the knapsack where the lines can not be seen or in a tent where ditto.

smeggers
Forum Recruit
smeggers
Forum Recruit

November 6th, 2015, 2:31 pm #39

Hi John, I would agree with you on that score. Having said that we will often have at least one tent open to the public for LH purposes that they can poke around (under supervision of course!) so they can get a feel for the 18th/19th C soldiers life :)

I've managed to find a place that is selling the white blankets in bundles of 5:
http://www.action-station.co.uk/hardwar ... ANKET.aspx

J-P

John Waller
Forum Chosenman
John Waller
Forum Chosenman

November 6th, 2015, 3:18 pm #40

smeggers:13388 wrote:Hi John, I would agree with you on that score. Having said that we will often have at least one tent open to the public for LH purposes that they can poke around (under supervision of course!) so they can get a feel for the 18th/19th C soldiers life :)

I've managed to find a place that is selling the white blankets in bundles of 5:
http://www.action-station.co.uk/hardwar ... ANKET.aspx

J-P
I wonder if you could use an embroidery machine to put a stripe on? My own blanket has two blue stripes down the centre of the length of the blanket. I don't think they are woven in, possibly printed on, I'll have a look. The Sgt Gower late of 2/95th had a nice GR stencil and kindly marked mine up with black acrylic.