Ramrod: What end to ram with?

General discussion forum
Eddie
Forum Lieutenant
Eddie
Forum Lieutenant

15 Apr 2013, 05:55 #11

Thanks Paul
I never knew there was so much design put into a ram rod!
I think you have answered my query:

"De Witt Bailey describes the rammer as thus:
"The heavy steel rammer has a flared head terminating in a flattened button not much larger than the flared section beneath it. There is a hole through the flared head to take the ;lever' or torque bar used in withdrawing a ball from the barrel. There is a half inch diameter symmetrical swell in the body of the rod about seven inches from the head. The tip of the rod is enlarged in diameter, slightly cupped on its surface (as it is used to seat the ball) and threaded for the tools which are carried in the buttbox."

Thus explained it is the TIP of the ram rod which is placed against the ball and the  flared end is available for the hand to push down on. SIMPLES!
Obviously our repro ram rods are not made the same way but then most of our  "Rifles" are smooth bore and do not have a rifled barrel.
"Far the calling bugles hollo,
High the screaming Fife replies,
Gay the files of scarlet follow:
Woman bore me, I will rise"

Paul Durrant
Site Admin

15 Apr 2013, 16:55 #12

FWIW, here's the Oz 2/95th loading rifles (proper rifles!) with cartridge (and obviously having to conform to range rules on priming, ie: after loading.)

Steve 60th
Forum Private
Steve 60th
Forum Private

01 Jul 2017, 10:18 #13

Here is an interesting piece which was found in a newspaper dated March 1798:

"The Duke of York, on the Kings return from court yesterday, brought with him two Hungarian soldiers, who are to serve in the 60th Regiment of foot, for His Majesty's inspection. They were dressed in the regimentals of the country, which consisted of an olive-green jacket, blue pantaloons, black gaiters striped with red, and wore on their heads hussar caps with a green feather: they were accoutered with rifle-barrel guns, and went through their exercise with astonishing celerity, which their method of ramming down the charge greatly contributes to, they returning the rod into its place after it is thrown up with only one motion, instead of twirling it between the fingers, as practiced by our troops; his Royal Highness has for his Regiment several more of these men who are also to be viewed by His Majesty for his approbation".
1st Coy. 5/60th Rifles

Celer Et Audax