Belmont Race report

Belmont Race report

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

11 Sep 2017, 23:46 #1

The Belmont season opening race was named in honour of our friend and former director, the late, Mike Scully.
The skiffs also flew black ribbons in memory of Steve Hickey who sadly passed away during the winter. Steve was a caring & kind man that will be missed by us all at Belmont.

The Compass Global Markets was the early leader. Compass certainly have some talent and pedigree on board with Young Gun Tom Crockett son of Matt Crockett, Special K's dad "Doc" is one of the all time great sheethands and Jamie's dad Tom Woods is an old 5o5 World Champion. The Compass led for most of the race but the Minder sailed brilliantly and eventually reeled them in and took the win. I'm not sure if it was divine intervention? But it was certainly fitting that Dave Hickey would cross the line in front on the day the black ribbons flew to honour his Dad.
Other skiffs to impress were the next Young Guns on Schweppes, Jordan Makin gave his older brothers a lesson as he steered KOFM to a good result, The Pepsi Max boys had a great day out and Aristocrat also sailed very well.
Results Scratch
1st - Minder - Rosey, Dobo & Dave
2nd - Compass - Tom, Kieran & Jamie
3rd - Pepsi Max - Stutcho, Ben & Burkey
Handicap
1st - Schweppes - Thomas, Marcus & James
2nd - KOFM - Jordan, Milko & Chris
3rd - Aristocrat - Dave, Lindsay & Vardon

Edd
I love Jimmy Cook
Edd
I love Jimmy Cook

12 Sep 2017, 05:05 #2

What boat is Minder?

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

12 Sep 2017, 22:00 #3

G'Day Edd,
"Minder Secure Cloud" is last years OAS. Ben Bruniges, Troy Dobinson and Dave Hickey are the crew. Joel Rose steered on Sunday as Ben wasn't available.

Edd
I love Jimmy Cook
Edd
I love Jimmy Cook

12 Sep 2017, 23:15 #4

thanks

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

19 Sep 2017, 02:52 #5

Another light breeze for the skiff race on Sunday and Pepsi Max bolted out of the blocks to claim the colour telly and lead at the first mark.
On the first run it was Redicrete that used a "get out of jail free card" and after rounding the first mark deep in the fleet slipped into the lead. Empty Jets showed they can race at the front if they make the start on time and Minder and YB Flat were also challenging for the lead. At the bottom mark for the final time it was neck and neck with Empty Jets, Redicrete and Minder. Rosey piloted Minder towards the right side of the course and hit the front to claim their 2nd win.
Lion sailed a great race as well to claim a handicap victory.
After 2 races we can see that consistency is going to be paramount. So far Minder has shown great consistency sailing in the lead pack and grabbing a last minute win in both races. The only other boat that has shown consistent form has been Aristocrat who have done very well in both races. The rest of the fleet will be striving to even out their performances and take the challenge to these to boats who have emerged as the early favourites in the Club Championship and Pointscore respectively.
Results Scratch
1st - Minder Secure Cloud - Rosey, Dobo & Dave
2nd - Redicrete - Ando, Bretto & Nigel
3rd - Empty Jets - Flanno, Big D & Nath
Handicap
1st - Lion -Talbo, Kim & Jackson
2nd - Hahn Super Dry - Trev, Showy & Greg
3rd - Aristocrat - Dave, Lindsay & Vardon

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

25 Sep 2017, 22:13 #6

Race 3, Club Champs 1 and early in the morning the Westerly was blowing fresh to frightening which had a lot of the Skiffies feeling nervous. By the time we started the breeze had backed off and swung to a light Easterly.
Aristocrat have been one of the consistent performers so far this season and with superstar skipper Kurt Hansen filling in they continued to impress leading early.
East Coast Marine & Sail had their new boat firing and were in the lead pack with the Young Guns on TJS. The other boat in the lead pack also had some star recruits with Special K moving to the bow of Compass Global Markets to make way for Lee and Mackie.
Compass grabbed the win in a close fought race between these 4 boats which all sailed extremely well.
Also sailing extremely well was Weathertex. Swampy and his team put together a great race to take Handicap honours from Newcastle Psychiatry. Bethany & her teams' much improved performance grabbed them a well deserved 2nd spot.
Results Scratch
1st - Compass Global Markets - Lee, Mackie & Special K
2nd - East Coast Marine & Sail - Matt, Scott & Corey
3rd - TJS - Henry, Grant & Izzy
Handicap
1st - Weathertex - Swampy, Scott & Nigel
2nd -Newcastle Psychiatry - Bethany, Mick & Brad
3rd - Aristocrat - Kurt, Lindsay & Vardon

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

09 Oct 2017, 22:07 #7

Race 4 and another lightish easterly on Belmont Bay.
The Defending Club and Australian Champs on TJS have had a patchy start to the season, but the Young Guns bounced back to form in fine style with a great win. They led at the top mark, held their lead for the entire race and won comfortably in the end.
The Veterans on Redicrete also had a good day, recovering from a poor start to get on the podium.
Young Champ, Tommy Crockett, steered the Compass around the track nicely with Kieran and Jamie on-board they are looking very good in the lightish breezes we've had so far and I think they'll be up for it the stronger breeze as well.
Another Boat that has bounced back to form is Insight. After a slow start to the season they have really improved and would be very happy with their race on Sunday, racing in the lead pack all day.
Kim steered IGT to grab a handicap victory and the Hahn Super Dry team also had a good race.
Results Scratch
1st - TJS - Henry, Grant & Izzy
3rd - Compass Global Markets - Tommy, Kieran & Jamie
Handicap
1st - IGT - Kim, Joe & Mitch
2nd - Insight Building - Adam, Scott & Pete
3rd - Hahn Super Dry - Trev, Showy & Steendog

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

16 Oct 2017, 21:55 #8

2 races for the Belmont fleet on Sunday and the first one had our strongest breeze of the season so far. With a handicap start it was Konami away first in the lead. Newcastle Psychiatry reeled them in and held the lead for a while but the veterans on YB Flat stormed home to take the win. YB Flat sailed a superb race not only winning the handicap, but taking out the double for the scratch win as well.
Southern Beaches, Lion and Empty Jets were other boats to have good races.
Results Handicap
1st - YB Flat - Piper, Muzza & Newelly
2nd - Southern Beaches Rugby - Rod, Stoney & Luke
3rd - Newcastle Psychiatry - Bethany, Brad & Splinter
Scratch
1st - YB Flat - Piper, Muzza & Newelly
2nd - Southern Beaches Rugby - Rod, Stoney & Luke
3rd - Minder Secure Cloud - Ben, Dobo & Dave
The 2nd race of the day was a scratch start and the breeze lightened and started to shift around quite a bit. The Young Guns hooked into a big shift up the first work to have TJS in the lead early, YB Flat was in the lead pack again but it was a race of snakes and ladders with placings changing as the wind swung. Hahn Super Dry was going well, as was Pepsi Max. The last work had Fire Stopping with the old legend Skin in the bow and Insight Building come into contention and the last run had the pack re-shuffle again with 9 boats sprinting downwind in contention for the win. Insight snuck across the line in front with the Fire Truck in 2nd spot. Pepsi did "The Buffalo Girls" and went around the outside to grab the final podium position.
Results Scratch
1st - Insight Building Services - Adam, Scott & Pete
2nd - Fire Stopping - Will, Rich & Skin
3rd - Pepsi Max - Stutcho, Ben & Burkey
Handicap
1st - Fire Stopping - Will, Rich & Skin
2nd - Andrews Meat - Action, Thommo & Kurt
3rd - Insight Building Services - Adam, Scott & Pete

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

23 Oct 2017, 22:15 #9

Another big rig breeze for the Belmont Club Championship Heat 2.
The East Coast Low got the best start and sailed really well to build up a comfortable lead.
Compass and Insight were both OCS, so although they were in the lead pack at the top mark they both had an early shower.
As the race progressed Redicrete and the Young Guns on TJS closed the gap on East Coast and it became a 3 horse race. These three skiffs had a nail biting last work and the Redicrete took the win.
Southern Beaches had the old bull, Dimps, on board and his skill and experience helped them to a Handicap win. One of our newer teams, IGT also had a great race as well.
Results Scratch
1st - Redicrete - Ando, Bretto & Nigel
2nd - East Coast Marine & Sail - Matt, Scott & Corey
3rd - TJS - Henry, Grant & Izzy
Handicap
1st - Southern Beaches Rugby - Rod, Dimps & Stoney
2nd - IGT - Don, Joe & Mitch
3rd - East Coast Marine & Sail - Matt, Scott & Corey

Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook
Ando16
I love Jimmy Cook

30 Oct 2017, 22:46 #10

A Handicap Start for the Belmont Fleet and the breeze was the strongest it's been so far this season.
Most of the fleet were on Big Rigs but there were a few small rigs as well and with the breeze right on the crossover it was anyone's race.
Newcastle Psychiatry had a great race to take out a well deserved win. The old legend Macca also had a good race as did Empty Jets. The Youngsters on Schweppes did very well also.
The East Coast Low and Redicrete went head to head in the race for scratch honours and 2 small rigs, Compass and The Fire Truck battled it out for the remaining scratch podium spot.
Results Handicap
1st - Newcastle Psychiatry - Bethany, Mick & Phil
2nd - Newcastle Herald - Macca, Jimmy & Sog
3rd - Empty Jets - Flanno, Big D & Nath
Scratch
1st - East Coast Marine & Sail - Matt, Scott & Corey
3rd - Compass Global Markets - Tommy, Spesh & Jamie